What got me into customs..

I wanted to show off some knives that really got me interested in non production blades, what better way to get to know a new guy than seeing his tastes?

When I first saw a post with one of his Bowie knives on our ms gun owners forum I knew I was in love with Tyler’s’ work. I contacted him about a trio and he fulfilled my wishes beyond the ideas in my head. These are the first custom knives I own that were ordered specifically for me by me and I couldn't be happier. The steel is W2 and it has been heat treated with a Hamon. The stocks are a desert ironwood and are really beautiful. I stuck quite a few projects in his ear after getting these and so far I’ve been a happy camper.

So thanks a lot Tyler May for turning me into a knife snob. I gave good money for these but after holding them I honestly don't understand how he turned a profit, and realize it was way too cheap. As if that wasn't good enough he delivered over a month ahead of schedule. I requested them without leather as I make my own..if I could ever find the time and figure out a suitable design to compliment the big bowie.

All of these photos were taken right after I unboxed the blades. Their a bit more used these days 

Specs:

Bird & Trout

Blade Length: 3.875"
OAL: 8.5"
Widest point of blade: .875"

Skinner:

Blade Length: 4.125"
OAL: 8.5"
Widest point of blade: 1.25"

Bowie:

Blade Length: 10"
OAL: 15"
Widest point of blade: 2.75"

A few months later Tyler told me he was going to give some folders a try I said 'sign me up.' The folder & spring is CPM 154 and the liners, bolsters, and pins are 410 stainless. The scales are a desert ironwood which I am really fond of. I’ve never carried a knife without a clip or a non spring assist knife before this one but after 3 months I really don’t miss the clip.

And I guess last but not least is my spike. For no reason in particular I’d lusted after a spiked hawk for a good long while. When I mentioned this project it was evidently something Tyler wanted to and I got this a month or two later. I have beat this thing up and am really impressed with it. The head is a forged 4140 which he left rough for me to have that ‘lived in’ look with a few applications of cold blue. The shaft is a Curly Maple and mighty attractive to me. There should probably be a leather wrap added under the head because the first time I miss and knick that shaft there may be a tear or two shed!

Hopefully ya’ll enjoyed the show. I’m trying to soak up the care/upkeep knowledge to start using a straight razor more often. Blade upkeep hasn’t really be a forte of mine up to this point unfortunately.

Back