What coating for carbon damascus to prevent rust?

BRad704

What would you guys use to coat a piece of carbon damascus that is going to see semi-regular handling and moisture?

I thought about regular spray clearcoat, but I'm not sure...

FWIW, this is not for a knife, but instead for a golf divot tool.

Even the good Krylon clearcoat is a super-soft coating. You can dig it with your thumbnail. I'd recommend the clear Cerakote or some similar heat cured coating.

Well I'll be - that's what a "golf divot tool" is. I had to look that one up. Never heard of the like - fluffing grass. What will they think of next?....... of course, don't think I've ever been on an actual golf course but once in my life - and was chasing cows that time. I guess I needed a divot tool to repair those cow tracks {grinning}

Ken H>

Thanks Frank. I'll look up the clear cerakote now.

Golf is fun for me. I can play under 110 pretty much anyway and that's good enough to make me want to go again and again.

Hey Brad, why not stainless of some sort?
If these get even a little rusty and get put into a pocket of a nice pair of khakis, they will stain.
I'm just saying...

Steve

Hey Brad, why not stainless of some sort?
If these get even a little rusty and get put into a pocket of a nice pair of khakis, they will stain.
I'm just saying...

Steve

I need enough for 2 sets. So 1.5 x 8 or so. That is, shall we say, "cost prohibitive". :/

stainless steel is "cost prohibitive" over Damascus???? I've got a bit of stainless (304 and 416) I'd sure trade in heartbeat for Damascus<:)

you could just give it a coat of wax like renaissance brand and i think mother's has some some. we used paste floor wax on survey equipment when i was in i was younger it did a great job. i don't see the coating craze, take care of your gear.

Back