What belts do you recommend for 2x72? (rough through finish grit)

REK Knives

Hey guys! I have gone through a lot of trial and error on my own with belts, polishing compounds, and even different sharpening systems.... this ends up wasting a lot of money in the long run lol. So I want to get your input on what belts you recommend? I want a good progression for roughing in a knife blank, and then finishing it off post HT to a nice finish.

What grit finish do you do on most knives you make, 800 grit?

So far, I have really enjoyed the Cubitron II 984f in 36 grit for heavy metal removal application, however, I haven't really used this pre-HT only post-HT when I need it (specifically for re-grinds). I have noticed that it cuts really well for about 15 min and then looses some of that quick metal removal capability. Now, I have read that it takes higher pressure at high speeds to make the abrasives friable, which I can't do post HT because it will ruin the temper. Anyway, I am guessing you use something different for pre-HT and post-HT heavy metal removal?

Next, I have transferred over to the 60 grit through 240 grit trizact structured abrasive belts and I REALLY like them for getting to that finished look, but that doesn't seem a high enough grit (unless you are sandblasting it). So then I use the Norax pyramid belts to take me up to 3000 grit, then to a felt belt w/ polishing compound. This is the highest finish I have, which I rarely need to do. However, is there any progression of belts that will give me a mirror or near mirror finish?

Bottom line is this: I will be grinding about 20 knives for a guy from blanks in the near future from CRA steel pre-HT. They will then be heat treated and tempered and sent to another guy for the finish (which I believe will be sand blasted). I need a good progression that won't cost me a bunch of money in the long run, because we all know that time and belts = money. so i need your recommendations, Thanks!

I ended up getting the cubitron II in 36 and 80 grit, then I got the gator trizacts in 240, 800, 1200 and 2000. I also picked up a fine Scotch brite belt for a satin finish... We shall see how the works!

Back