What are the tricks to make a 01 steel knife not rust .

A.W.Stovall

Man 01 is some good cutting steel and I like how it always comes P.G. but man that stuff rust Fast , I had a finished knife I laid it on the counter came back 3 hrs later there was this dot where a water drop had gotten on it and stained it just like that . People use 01 for kitchen knives how do they keep them from rusting?

Thanks Anthony.

I've given up on O1 not rusting and now just force a patina with a variety of methods. Also, bluing works pretty well if you follow it with some WD40... even WD40 will keep it from rusting. Also, you can try Ren Wax, many folks I know use it in everything from razors to neck knives. As for kitchen knives, they rust if left wet, most of us Carbon Only types wiping the knife dry in between use or washing and drying right away before storage.

Nice knife BTW. You're doing great work.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike , I actually have about 3-4 that should nearly be done after tommorow, trying to get enough done me and Gabriel got atable at DallasMarket Hall show for sept 22, you gonna have to get together to see what you have been making.
Anthony

I've been making excuses for the past month so nothing new for now. Maybe in a few weeks I'll get around to breathing life into some of the sketches I've done in my down time. I hope you guys do well at the Sept. show, I've gone once or twice to look around. It isn't too bad of a gathering.

It's easy to keep a carbon steel knife from rusting in kitchen use. You use the blade, wash it, dry it, put away, and you smack your hand hard if you ever even think about putting it into the dishwasher. Carbon steel blades will eventually develope a patina from the food that they slice.

Doug

My take on using O-1 is to try and not take the blade down any further than 600 grit. Mostly i take the blades down to 400 grit sanding length wise to form a nice even semi satin finish and then spray it down with Strike Hold. I agree with everyone's opinion on the more you use it the more patina aged look you get. O-1 is what it is and it will rust no way around it. If you want a blade that resists rust go stainless.

+1. if you go carbon in an environment it's going to get exposed to moisture much less liquid water, force the patina somehow. It can be as simple as the first use being some meat and acidic produce, then letting it sit a bit before washing. By a bit I mean twenty minutes or so, dry but not cleaned. I have a kitchen knife I made myself that got used for some thick onions, meat, peppers... then I lightly wiped off the excess moisture with a paper towel and left it on the cutting board while I cooked for a half hour. Then I washed it. That gave a mild but distinct patina that's kept it fairly safe from rusting quickly if a stray drop of water sits on it for a bit. Of course, the patina continues to develop as I use the knife, and because I did it the way I did the tang isn't protected. I handle that by wax for the most part.

Stainless is what I use 85% of the time and patina wouldnt be an issue most of the time . But I went outside the ordinary on this knife and know wished I had used stainless, cause anyone who would want this knife would probably want it in stainless Oh well guess I'll keep it and use it this hunting season myself.

cause anyone who would want this knife would probably want it in stainless Oh well guess I'll keep it and use it this hunting season myself.

I totally disagree with you. I will take it off your hands to save you from the embarrassment of carrying around a knife with a spot on it in hunting camp! Oh the horrors that would befall you! Just make yourself a new one and send that old thing to me ;)

I dont mid the Patina matter of fact I wish I would have blued it before I finished it lol. I was talking about selling it the knife I use when hunting is sharp not pretty lol. What do you guy's think of this design I just started with a piece of steel and this is where I ended up lol. It's nice being a part time hobby knife maker not worrying about selling them lol.
Anthony

could you season a knife similar to seasoning a cast iron skillet? heat to 300F, dip in vegetable oil, keep at 300F for 10 min or so then air cool. just a thought.
scott

could you season a knife similar to seasoning a cast iron skillet? heat to 300F, dip in vegetable oil, keep at 300F for 10 min or so then air cool. just a thought.
scott

Not really. You might get a cover coat, but it would not be the same as seasoning in cast iron, and would not have near the bonding. I really do not understand the complaints I see about 01 rusting. I have worked exclusively with 01 for many years now. I don't find it to rust any faster than any other carbon steel. I am in east central FL where 90% humidity is the norm, plus my shop is about 30' from the St. Johns river, and cooled only with exhaust fans bringing in outside air. Keep the blades oiled if you're having problems.

Last edited:
I've had really good luck using CLP (Cleaning Lubricant Protectant, the stuff we us on our weapons). I have an EDC that I have been carrying for the past six months with no issues. Every couple of weeks I put a few deips of CLP on it and wipe it down.

Back