What are the tools Needed

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I am getting a list ready for ordering everything I need for making leather sheaths, holsters, and belts.
Here is what I got so far:
Needle
Thread
Leather
Creaser
Groover
Knife
Edge beveler
stitch spacer
Awl
Tooling punches
Hole punches
Dye

Is this all I need to start out with? Or is there more?
I do not know what the best thread to use or what rivets, rivet setters are good.
If anyone has any advice that would be great.
I have never built anything out of leather before!!!!

Bigern26

Here's a few things off the top of my head.

-Bone folder for burnishing. An antler tip works well for this ! Wood dowel or a sharpie will do it if needed.
-Gum Tragacanth- not necessary but can help with burnishing edges.
-finish/ Top Coat. There are many options here.
leather sheen
satin sheen- This is what I use
bag coat
-Non mar hammer- I use a Harbor frieght cheapie thats plastic on one side rubber on the other
-Glue/Cement- Tite-bond wood glue for glue or Weldwood Contact cement available from Lowes/Home Depot/Hardware store.
-Red ink pen for layout- Preferably on the back side
-Not essential but wing dividers come in handy alot.
-Groover, you mentioned this but it's worth noting that both an edge groover and freehand groover will come in handy.
-Manila file folders for making templates.
-Swivel knife and an extra blade. Rumor says the ceramic blades are sweet but I haven't used one yet.
-Wool daubers, Harbor freight has these cheap.
-I've got disposable rubber gloves but rarely use them prefering to end up with what I call the "Poo Fingers" for a day or 2 till the dye wears off, LOL

Also keep in mind that desire is more important than tools. You'll most likely keep aquiring more and more tools and materials as you go and your skills progress.

I'm still collecting stuff myself, LOL. Alot of these tools will help to get a faster and better result but are not essential to producing usable leather goods.

The awl i use has leather on the end , so that I can use my rawhide mallet to drive it thru the thicker welts.

If you can, make the stitching pony on the wrtcleather.com site. It really takes a load off. You sit on it and your piece isn't fumbling around in your lap while you stitch. You get more of a bite when you pull on the stitch.

You can also make some of your own leather tools. Buy a few LARGE nails 5-6 inch, cut the head off and use files or dremel tool to fashion your own designs. I made deer hoof prints, arrowhead and a few shading tools. If you can get to a Tandy store you can take a beginner class to show you a few shortcuts.

Pat

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
I think I have a good list to start with, now I can buy a tool every other week or so.

Thanks again

Buy or borrow Chuck Burrow's (Wild Rose) video on sheath making ! It will markedly affect the learning curve & quality of work .

Joe

Back