What are the best grinders that a man who wants to one day be a pro buy

Well guys after a lot of research, studying, your inputs and a lot of soul searching, I have decided to spring for a TW-90. The deciding factor for me was it's vertical/horizontal setup ability and it's direct drive motor. It's very expensive and I will have to get a loan to pay for it but I think it will be well worth it. I am really looking forward to having a first class machine to use.

I still have a decision to make as to which to buy, the 2 HP motor or the 3 HP motor. Do I really need 3 HP? I have read that it is the best to have. I will just be making knives and not doing any fabrication work?

Thanks again for your help and input.

Grizzly Bear

Well guys after a lot of research, studying, your inputs and a lot of soul searching, I have decided to spring for a TW-90. The deciding factor for me was it's vertical/horizontal setup ability and it's direct drive motor. It's very expensive and I will have to get a loan to pay for it but I think it will be well worth it. I am really looking forward to having a first class machine to use.

I still have a decision to make as to which to buy, the 2 HP motor or the 3 HP motor. Do I really need 3 HP? I have read that it is the best to have. I will just be making knives and not doing any fabrication work?

Thanks again for your help and input.

Grizzly Bear

the wilmont TAG series has vertical/horizontal.
i already chimed in that 2Hp is more than enough. where are you putting the grinder? are you an electrician? to run a 3Hp true three phase VFD you are going to need cable(minimum of 10awg) and a double breaker rated for 30 amps. in my last home, i was able to use the dryer outlet for this.

you should be able to get a wilmont LB1000 or a Pheer with 1hp motor, VFD, and extra tooling arms for less than $1500 and have a grinder you will never out grow.

IMHO: if you stall a 1hp belt grinder with a 1720rpm motor, you are doing work best done with a band saw or a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

the wilmont TAG series has vertical/horizontal.
i already chimed in that 2Hp is more than enough. where are you putting the grinder? are you an electrician? to run a 3Hp true three phase VFD you are going to need cable(minimum of 10awg) and a double breaker rated for 30 amps. in my last home, i was able to use the dryer outlet for this.

you should be able to get a wilmont LB1000 or a Pheer with 1hp motor, VFD, and extra tooling arms for less than $1500 and have a grinder you will never out grow.

IMHO: if you stall a 1hp belt grinder with a 1720rpm motor, you are doing work best done with a band saw or a 4 1/2" angle grinder.

A one HP belt machine does not have enough torque to run modern ceramic belts. These belts are designed to be used at high SFM and high pressures. If they are run without sufficient belt speed and pressure they will load up and glaze. This shortens there useful life considerably. The OP stated that he wanted to purchase a machine that would be adequate for a pro or full time maker. That means HP and ceramic belts.

For a finishing machine, a 1 HP VS machine is sufficient and desirable. High speeds and pressure are not required for finish work.

James Poplin of Pop's knife supply told me of a pair of brothers who grind blades in volume; they use a 3 HP machine that runs @ 7,000 SFM, they use a lever system where they can load a blade blank in a jig and apply the pressure using a long lever. They use high grade ceramic belts in their machine and he told me they can grind 100 blades using one ceramic belt. Sounds unbelievable, but James said it is factual.

Being the price they are, we need to take every advantage to get the most out of the belts we use.

Just my .02 cents, Fred

Everyone has strong opinions. I have a KMG with a 3hp VFD and the larger diameter qdrive wheel. It gives more belt speed when I want it, and increased torque. Tracks dead-on, is relatively quiet (nothing is quiet with that much speed and power, once you put the steel on it at high speed, but the mechanics are quiet).

Heavy, solid, no vibration due to weight and material of tooling arm. Nothing extra to wear out. I have a contact wheel to replace one of the idlers on the flat platen setup, an 8" wheel, and a fork arm with some rollers. Everything I needed.

I called Bader to ask them if they could put a 3hp on one of their machines, and run through an appropriate vfd. I waited a week, no word back though I called 3 times. I bought the machine from Beaumont. It was delivered, and I had it wired and setup, before Bader even returned my call to tell me that they could build what I needed.

kc

Back