What a day...

Black cat

Im in a hurry to get a bunch of blades finished. It was going good but slow till now.
Today was such a waste, hours and hours spent trying to pin a bolster and all I did was mess up the knife.

I clean and clean the pin holes... They work fine. As soon as I apply the epoxy they wont go through the holes and just bend. I even tried keeping the epoxy away from the holes. 1/16 pins.

Now its all ratched up and a day wasted... So depressed i'm shaking.

Are you using a fast epoxy? Like 5 or 15 minute? I use Gflex and 1/8" pins on stainless bolsters and seems to work great so far.

i tried using the 5min epoxy a few times. Each time was a horror story. there is nothing worse than having the epoxy begin to set up when you can't get a scale on. CRAP CRAP CRAP! As I tried pulling it all apart in time to save the scales.

it's just not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFlex is the best epoxy I've used to date. Well worth the little extra it cost. A lot of my fitting issued just disappeared when I started using it.

rps20160528_205451.jpg

Yeah, I second what these guys said. That time crunch panic just isn't worth it. I've seen some of that stuff set up in as little as 3 minutes too. And I'm skeptical of the long term durability of those cheaper quick epoxies. They have their place....it's just not on knife handles for me.

G-flex is my personal favorite too.

My old boss in construction used to tell me and the other young guys (I was young then ;) ) "You'd better slow down or you're gonna get behind."

I think that applies perfectly here.

Hope you have a better day today.

Im in a hurry to get a bunch of blades finished.

There's your issue! I have a student in my shop right now, and I have to keep telling him.... "The FASTEST way to make a knife is SLOWLY!" We've all done it (and some like me still do it :)... get caught up in a rush) and things just go sideways. Slow down, take your time.... it will pay off.

"The FASTEST way to make a knife is SLOWLY!" We've all done it (and some like me still do it :)... get caught up in a rush) and things just go sideways.

Guilty.

Every time I botch something up by rushing I hear a voice in my head, "You don't have time to do it right, but you have time to do it twice."

Well the day is going better so far. I will attempt the bolster pins again in a few moments.
I agree... About slowing down. I feel like i'm on the edge of a nervous breakdown.
Unfortunately I have less than a week to hit the road. I'm expected down south for a job search and to drop off these knives I promised months ago (not getting payed for any of them though).
Just sold everything I have to pay for insurance and fuel to get me into a bigger city where I might have more luck finding work.
But i'm months behind schedule, cant sleep, very sore... I hope to get five more knives done in the next few days, pack my things, tie up loose ends and perhaps get one full night of sleep before I hit the road.

I would hold off on the knives but I like to keep my promises... Got to stop volunteering myself for these things lol.

Hang in there Black cat, i echo everything said above and that sometimes as hard as it is ya have to say no in knifemaking.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back