Western Vintage Paratroop

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
My friend Dennis (Demo) gifted this to me a while back, and finally got around to restoring it (thanks again Dennis). After some research I found out it is a WW2 "shark" knife as it was carried by Naval Aviators. Western made several styles of it but all with the fuller groove. Had to put new leather handle on it and grind out what looks like someone's attempt to remove rust with a bench grinder. Acid treated blade as per original finish. Made the sheath for it. It will go to my brother in law who collects Westerns.

Last edited:
Ausbrooks

That looks awesome. I cannot believe it is the same blade. I sent you a pile of crapola and you made lemonade. Great job!

DeMo

PS: Why are you calling me your brother-in-law?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas!

I looked and looked for a photo of the knife before the reclamation. I could not find one.

Paul does great work on these restorations. It was in horrible shape, no handle material, rusted, aged, neglected, just plain nasty looking. Now, it is again a gem. I am amazed.

Ausbrooks, if you have a before photo will you post it?

DeMo

DeMo

Dennis- glad you like it...thanks for the props....but I didn't take any before pics-should have. You're right though it was pretty rough- covered with rust and gouges and no leather left. The lettering was covered with rust so sandblasted it and it cleaned up good. The pins drove out so that's half the battle- it's hard to drill them out straight. I am always amazed at the abuse inflicted on blades by bench grinders, and had to grind on this one a bit to get it to clean up to an acceptable condition.
Restoring these old relics is enjoyable and maybe it's that no one else wants to bother with them that makes me enjoy it. On practical side, there are a lot of old knives out there that people want restored and if is a way to get more business I'll get it on my business card.

"Restoring these old relics is enjoyable and maybe it's that no one else wants to bother with them that makes me enjoy it. On practical side, there are a lot of old knives out there that people want restored and if is a way to get more business I'll get it on my business card."

You certainly do a wonderful job at saving these old and neglected knives. If you ever need a testimonial, I'm your guppy.

DeMo

Vance, I used ferric chloride- was a last minute decision so just put on rubber gloves, put a little on a paper towel, rubbed it down, let it stay on few minutes, then neutralized with windex, then oiled it. Really blackened with one treatment.

FC works on all non-SS carbon steels, and marginally on D2 as it is at 12% chrome. To do a good job with FC submerse the blade in a 2 or 3 parts water 1 part FC solution for half an hour or more then rinse and neutralize, which is a typical damascus treatment to bring out contrast. Get it at Radio Shack called "PCB Etchant".

If you look closely. It's amazing how many of those knives you see in 50s and 60s Westerns. Great job. They are very good knives

Back