Weekly open forge

clancy

For anyone in the Malta NY area I wanted to mention that I have an open forge every Tuesday evening at 6pm. Usually 2 or 3 guys show up, some just interested in blacksmithing others like to talk knives or even forge one. This week one of the guys was interested in damascus so we made a 10 layer stack and folded it once. He went home with the 20 layer stack to play with.

My website at balchsigns.com has some gallery photos of my knife hobby. I try to keep the blog updated and am posting videos there as I get a chance.

I also have a CNC router and a laser system that I show people how to use but so far most guys have been more interested in forging. I find the laser to be great for cutting knife templates. I can draw the blade shape on the computer and laser out a clear acrylic blade template for marking out the shape on my damascus billet. This way alignment is easy and I can make several knives with the exact same shape.

contact me for directions if you want to stop by.

ernie

balchsigns.com

Boy, what a great thing, Ernie !!!!! Well, you shouldn't ever expect me since I live on the west coast of Canada. I do have a question to ask you though and that is how many hugs and kisses do you get per visit? Frank

Boy, what a great thing, Ernie !!!!! Well, you shouldn't ever expect me since I live on the west coast of Canada. I do have a question to ask you though and that is how many hugs and kisses do you get per visit? Frank

Well Frank, first I need to get some lady bladesmiths but then I think my wife would frown on your idea and cancel my weekly event. LOL.

Ernie, I'm moving to Princeton here in just a few months, and it would be worth the drive to me just to watch & learn. Thanks for opening up your shop like that!

Rob,
Let me know when you want to come up and we can forge a damascus billet for you.

ernie.

We are a growing bunch Ernie! I must say that it has been a terrific time each time I have traveled the whopping 4 miles to get to you. Looking forward to some more sessions this summer. Hopefully I can bring some finished knives by the end of the summer...

Keith

If someone did this in my neck o' the woods (Calgary), I'd probably pee myself with excitement (not literally). Good on you!

Keith,
I like your knife designs, we need to do some trading.

My prediction: someday the dark side will call .... and you will forge some knives. Once you start making damascus you won't want to go back to stainless steel.

ernie

Keith,
I like your knife designs, we need to do some trading.

My prediction: someday the dark side will call .... and you will forge some knives. Once you start making damascus you won't want to go back to stainless steel.

ernie

You're probably correct with your prediction. Forging at your place was a ton of fun!

Back