Week 3 Voting Thread is CLOSED for Week 3 Photo Contest

Vote for week 3 Photo Contest - Allows multiple picks this week...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for Buddy's photo this week.
Last week he had a killer image as well, but I think this one is way better.
The fringe twigs is such a great touch. Very original.
They all point at the knife.
They add a totally different texture.
They form a warm, dark area contrasted by the cool, light area in the other corner.
All of this keeps the eye moving back to the star in the image... the knife.

I'd give this one 5's across the board.
And oddly enough, I don't like the knife LOL...

I was torn between voting for multiple images or one.
I had Mr Bump's and Mr Doyle's photo checked in the poll as well.
I messed up, deleted Doyle and thought I deleted Bump. But Bruce stuck around and I hit vote.
(If the mods want to fix that, put Mr Doyle in as well, or if we are going with just one vote, remove Mr Bump)

I think those two shots are quite worthy.
The deal breaker for me, and this is a nit, but a worthy one IMHO...That ugly personal taste thing again, but the graphic designer in me wins...
The type in both of those images is upside down.
In Bruce's shot it is the maker's mark. That would've been a killer shot if the knife was pointed up (& its good-er luck) and the type would've been easier to read.
Our eyes and brain are so trained to read type it is a must. When the type is upside down or sideways, it is harder to read, your eye stops to puzzle it out and that puts the brakes on the flow of the image.

Same with the Doyle image, but it is the fishing rod. Turn it the other way around and it'd be much better.
Better yet, use a part of the rod with no type... like the reel seat.
I'd also cram the props closer together and leave out the tackle box... Or stack everything on the box. Right now they are disparate elements... see Buddy's image from last week.

In both of those images I thought the technical bits are really well done.
You know the voting is tough when it is small things like this that decide the finishing places.

Across the board the improvements are showing... getting tougher and tougher :)

I voted for Buddy and J Doyle this time. I'm really enjoying this thread, and appreciate those of you who know how to take good photos taking the time to teach those of us that are learning. Thanks!

It's really tough to judge the whole pic and not the knife. This week I'm suckered in by detail and clarity which J Doyles' and Bruce Bumps' pics jumped out at me with of course Buddys' pic.

As a side note.....I regret to announce that after this weeks' shenagins, I'm easing out of the competition. Now I'm totally lost. The added requirements to the photos every week are things I have no clue about nor have the time to learn in this busy part of the season. I'll be watching though and maybe figure out how to do those mystical new things.

Rudy

I voted for Rudy Joly, Yesealex, Buddy Thomason, and MV Peterson, as apparently did most others, from looking at the results. I saw that J. Doyle had the highest score so far, so I had to go back and re-examine that one. It's a very nice knife and picture, but I didn't vote for it because, for me, the box at the top of the pic adds nothing to the contents of the pic, and it also casts a shadow on the middle of the knife, negatively affecting the detail around the middle. I think the end of the handle that is not shaded shows the beauty much more than the other end of the handle and the ricasso area. See how the wood detail at the end jumps out more than at the middle? If not for the box and its shadow, I'd have voted for J. Doyle.

..... Now I'm totally lost. The added requirements to the photos every week are things I have no clue about nor have the time to learn in this busy part of the season. I'll be watching though and maybe figure out how to do those mystical new things.

I'm with you Rudy on the composites, I managed an inset image for week 4. Composites though? I have an idea of how its done, but don't have the software to do it. Maybe when this contest is over, someone could write up an in depth WIP on how to do composites. Preferably, without using $1000 software too. That may be some trade secret stuff though.:3:

Not that I'm not interested but I just can't spare the time sitting at the puter learning probably aggrevating things. I still need help downloading pics from camera to file and my camera equipment is barely serviceable. I know.....WAaaaah ! Right now isn't a good time, life takes priority. I do think it's a good idea to push people into new things though.

Rudy

There were a few good ones this time around.

I voted for Buddy, Ben R. T. and Ebbtide this time. All three had at least one tiny **MINOR** issue ( I won't say flaw because I'm not sure they are flaws) that threw my eye just a bit and therefor, I couldn't pick one over the other. I think all 3 were pretty darn good images.

In a squeaker...
Winner J.Doyle...
nicely framed knife that gives a feeling of heading out for a day on the trout stream...

J. Doyle

5f733d71-81f2-466b-90bd-e8fdb621eedc_zpse840067a.jpg

Back