Website Critique

I looked at your website. I am not an expert but I have looked at dozens of them.

Things that I noticed include clear pictures, clear content, easy to flip through website design. It is on the simple side of things but it just makes sense.

I liked the video in the available knife section and the blog on how to make a knife.

The biggest problem with websites is driving people to see it so that it becomes an effective way to sell your knives.

Overall - you did very well putting this together.

I looked at your website. I am not an expert but I have looked at dozens of them.

Things that I noticed include clear pictures, clear content, easy to flip through website design. It is on the simple side of things but it just makes sense.

I liked the video in the available knife section and the blog on how to make a knife.

The biggest problem with websites is driving people to see it so that it becomes an effective way to sell your knives.

Overall - you did very well putting this together.
Thanks Dennis! Yep, it's on the simple side. I'm a simple man with a simple mind. :)

"I'm a simple man with a simple mind"

Me too!!

I don't know if you have ever seen any Alec Steele youtube videos, but, he has a shirt that says "It ain't stupid, if it works!".

I have the same compliments as above and I especially like that the site is easy to navigate. The only suggestion (s) I would add is in the section where you have the Bird Trout knife for sale you should list the features of the knife (steel, handle material, finish etc) and indicate if a sheath comes with it or is not included in the price. I know the Steel and info is in your FAQ but it seems missing on the for sale section. Your work is very, very good but in my opinion and my opinion alone you need a makers mark of some sort. A maker's mark again, in my opinion adds value and assurance of quality to your blades. I love the name too.

I have the same compliments as above and I especially like that the site is easy to navigate. The only suggestion (s) I would add is in the section where you have the Bird Trout knife for sale you should list the features of the knife (steel, handle material, finish etc) and indicate if a sheath comes with it or is not included in the price. I know the Steel and info is in your FAQ but it seems missing on the for sale section. Your work is very, very good but in my opinion and my opinion alone you need a makers mark of some sort. A maker's mark again, in my opinion adds value and assurance of quality to your blades. I love the name too.
Thanks Chris! Your suggestions have been extremely helpful. I'll update the available knife section to include the specs. I have a steel maker's mark stamp that I'm in the process of making a fixture for. Should have that up and running soon. Thanks again!

Once you start marking them I bet you will have no trouble selling them. I had a website for a while but as mentioned before I had trouble getting people there to look around. I eventually took the website down in favor of using Etsy and facebook as my primary outlet. I hope you have far better luck than I did. I like your website better than I liked mine any way.

Once you start marking them I bet you will have no trouble selling them. I had a website for a while but as mentioned before I had trouble getting people there to look around. I eventually took the website down in favor of using Etsy and facebook as my primary outlet. I hope you have far better luck than I did. I like your website better than I liked mine any way.
To be honest, I'm not using the website for sales as much as I am to have a place to provide info on my knives. I have a friend that has a "high end" gift shop here in town. He wanted some of my knives for his store so I took seven to him. Five have already sold and he's ask for more. Sold a few by word of mouth and gave many away as gifts to friends and family. I really love making knives so I don't want this to turn into a "job" and take the enjoyment out of it. Trying to strike a balance. :)

I like the overall layout, and the "feel" of the website..... However, you've gotta do better quality photos. If you do them yourself, it doesn't come quickly or easily, but it's something you MUST do/have.

NOTHING will make or break a knife website quicker then the quality of the images presented on that site.

I agree with Ed. Beautiful knifes and the pictures need work. I opened up an Etsy page ( for Damascus Jewelry right now, not for knifes.) I am working on getting the best photos possible and it's frustrating but necessary. My favorite knifemaker photos are Trollski Knifes. I actually wonder if he has them done. One change I would make is not have your hands holding them. I think that takes away from them . I wouldn't go crazy redoing all of them. I'd focus on one knife and try to get the best focus, lighting, background. Once you have mastered one then redo others slowly.

I agree with Ed. Beautiful knifes and the pictures need work. I opened up an Etsy page ( for Damascus Jewelry right now, not for knifes.) I am working on getting the best photos possible and it's frustrating but necessary. My favorite knifemaker photos are Trollski Knifes. I actually wonder if he has them done. One change I would make is not have your hands holding them. I think that takes away from them . I wouldn't go crazy redoing all of them. I'd focus on one knife and try to get the best focus, lighting, background. Once you have mastered one then redo others slowly.
Agree on the photo quality. You and Ed are very correct. All of the knives in the photos are long gone so I can't redo them. But I'll replace the photos as I make new knives. Thanks!!!

I know those are not pro pics...but are bright and focused and colorful...and better than mine...lol. I have seen websites with much less quality.

I imagine others use this rule of thumb?....when I look at a knife site and I sense the guy is not making knives for a living.... and is also the web designer...and photographer. If his knives are good and I can see the "details" well... I'm not mentally put off by less than perfect pics...usually snapped right as the knife went into the mailer...lol. I think paying for pro photos comes after quite a few knives?

I would buy from a maker who's site is less than perfect but making clean knives before I'd do the reverse...

Not at all discounting the observation about picture quality!....this is why I still have not done a website...my pics are poor. I am getting better but not there yet...Some of you guys are amazing in the pic Dept. !!

Ted, you and I are in total agreement about the photos. I tend not to look at the quality of photo near so much as quality of knife. BUT - I do understand What Ed and others are saying about nice photos. For many folks that's the first thing they look at, perhaps thinking if the effort isn't put into photo, perhaps it's not put into knife?

I went back and looked at site again - I think I do agree about hands not holding knives. Also, the video on knife making doesn't seem to fit in the "available knives" section. Perhaps in the FAQ as a "how I make a knife" FAQ topic? AND - perhaps the "BLOG" would be better retitled something like about my knife making and have the video and the "knife making" under the same knife making topic? Just tossing out ideas for discussion.

Back