Watermelon Liner-lock

BRad704

There are LOTS of pics of my progress on this knife in the WIP/Tutorial section, but I'll just put a few finished pics here.

A close friend asked me to make a green liner lock for her boyfriend for Christmas, and gave me carte-blanche on the design. Just so long as it was green, and had a pocket clip. :) This is actually my second liner lock ever, and my first of my own full design. (#1 was a chow chow)

1/8" Aldo's 1084
Flat ground, right hand chisel, convex edge
0.071" Ti liners
All stainless hardware from USAKM
Green micarta made by kamikazej here on KD (saved my butt on this! I couldn't find green ANYwhere!)

Detent is strong and has a very positive snap when closing. Lock up is rock solid and gets about 0.06" of the 0.071" lock face.

20121012_074507.jpg20121012_074546.jpg20121012_074611.jpg20121012_074632.jpg20121012_074640.jpg20121012_074703.jpg20121012_074731.jpg20121012_074754.jpg

Really like your design Brad. Just what a pocket needs and nothing more. Also like that you incorperated a lanyard into the design.

Love the Green too :)

-Josh

Thanks Josh. I'm ready to start another one! :)

I have some more of this kamikarta ( i just invented that name since it came from Kamikazej). I think I'll be doing some green bolsters soon.

I was like "wow, that's green"...but then it grows on you...and pretty quickly.
I like it. Interestingly enough I was wondering how to polish out the countersink around the pivot screw, so I will know when I attempt such a knife.
It is attractive, and well done..good job!

Thanks a lot guys! I'm still very proud of this knife and have been carrying it for the last few days. Just the right weight and thickness, plus great usable length on the blade.

the green is growing on me as well. It has actually darkened up just a tiny bit from handling, which I think is a good thing.

As for polishing the recess around the pivot... I'm still hoping to figure something out for that soon.

Thank you Dwane. I've already got 2 more started... :) One based on this knife, and another "funky fantasy folder" that my 8yo son helped design... LOL!

Brad, my wife loves the green color and now wants something like it. Thanks.... :)

Great looking knife! I like the chisel grind, I'm always trying to find an excuse to use it.

I like the chisel grind, I'm always trying to find an excuse to use it.

There are plenty of Strider SMF's that are chisel ground, so I don't really see any reasons NOT to use it. :) With 1/8" or 5/32" steel, there is plenty of room to keep the grind off the spine, but still get a very tight angle on the main bevel.

Back