Washer making WIP

Very cool Calvin. That's a neat spinner rig you have for your surface grinder. Did you buy that or make it? I could see all kinds of uses for that.

You're pretty clever. ;)

John,
I bought this spin jig,it's a cheap one from Enco,and yes it can be used for many things.

Calvin, I was going to ask you about this yesterday but, didn't want to step on anyone's toes!:what!::biggrin:

Calvin thanks for WIP, the cell pics were fine and it really lays it out about "how to"!

If you don't mind me asking where did you buy the sheet of bronze and what thickness was it at start??

I like to watch,How It's Made,on TV. This WIP just hits the high spots,like that TV show.
I bought the bronze from a deceased Knifemakers estate sale but you can get it it from MSC or Enco or McMaster Carr.
This bronze I used is .008" thick.

Calvin purchased the spin mandrel? OK, even our Great Calvin who makes almost EVERYTHING!!! will break down and purchase a tool.

Thanks for all the info Calvin - your WIP's are better than the "How it's made" TV program..... and WAAAY more useful.

Next we know Time mag will have Calvin in the "Man of the Year" running.

I'd like to try washers on a knife rather than milling the relief - if Calvin uses washers, it must be better. Is it the backspring must be the thickness of the blade plus 2 washers, plus maybe 1/2 thousandths?

Ken H>

Last edited:
Calvin purchased the spin mandrel? OK, even our Great Calvin who makes almost EVERYTHING!!! will break down and purchase a tool.

Thanks for all the info Calvin - your WIP's are better than the "How it's made" TV program..... and WAAAY more useful.

Next we know Time mag will have Calvin in the "Man of the Year" running.

I'd like to try washers on a knife rather than milling the relief - if Calvin uses washers, it must be better. Is it the backspring must be the thickness of the blade plus 2 washers, plus maybe 1/2 thousandths?

Ken H>

Ken,
I made the mandrel. I purchased the spin jig.
If you use washers your spring must be thicker than your blade. I make mine equal to the thickness of the blade plush washers.

What I get for reading too fast - I didn't click to what the "spin jig" was until just now when I went back and looked at photos better. That's the piece of equip that almost reminds me of a rotary table, but not. I can see why you'd buy that. OK, I'm happy - you made the mandrel.

Ken H

The spin jig takes C-5 collets so when I took the mandrel out of the drill Chuck I put it in a 3/8" ,C-5 collet and put that in the spin jig.

Hi Calvin. Thanks for the great tutorial. Love the info you share. Question - have you tried different thicknesses of washers? Curious if you prefer one thickness over another? I've been using teflon, but definitely going to pick up some bronze now!

Hi Calvin. Thanks for the great tutorial. Love the info you share. Question - have you tried different thicknesses of washers? Curious if you prefer one thickness over another? I've been using teflon, but definitely going to pick up some bronze now!

Im using these on slipjoints so I wouldn't even consider using Teflon.
My stainless steel washers are .010",these are .008. I use .010" bronze on my linerlocks but I buy them because they are readily available.

Calvin
Do you think the washers are a better idea than relieving the bolsters on a milling machine. I use this method and notice a lot of makers also relieve the bolsters.
Ray

Calvin, would phosphorus bronze be OK to use for the washers like that?? I almost had a heart attack when I went to MSC looking for .008 Bronze sheets,

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...h=true&typahddsp=Bronze+Sheets&navid=12102038

I found a small sheet of that at our local Halls Hardware in the .008!! I went ahead and bought it so I could try it on some washers. Now I got to figure out how to make up a spinner like that one you are using! I will have to back and re-read what you posted to KenH about that one!

Last edited:
Calvin, would phosphorus bronze be OK to use for the washers like that?? I almost had a heart attack when I went to MSC looking for .008 Bronze sheets,

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...h=true&typahddsp=Bronze+Sheets&navid=12102038

I found a small sheet of that at our local Halls Hardware in the .008!! I went ahead and bought it so I could try it on some washers. Now I got to figure out how to make up a spinner like that one you are using! I will have to back and re-read what you posted to KenH about that one!

Im always amazed at the things Hall's Hardware in Milton has in stock. FYI they stock 2-56 and 0-80 screws and mini taps and dies.
Phosphor bronze will work. The price for a .008" X 12" X 96" sheet at MSC is probably much cheaper per square inch that what you paid but I know, you didn't want that much material and didn't want to spend that much. Take the money you saved and buy a spin jig and surface grinder.:biggrin:

Calvin
Do you think the washers are a better idea than relieving the bolsters on a milling machine. I use this method and notice a lot of makers also relieve the bolsters.
Ray

No I don't think using washers is better than mill relieving that area nor do I think that mill relieving that area is better than using washers. I save time by using washers and get perfect spacing every time and never ruin a liner in the process. This is the method that I preferr,having done it the other way.

Hi Calvin,

Very nice WIP. Thought about something similar, but finishing on the lathe with a small die grinder attached. Surface grinder is a much better idea!

If you don't mind a few questions about the spin indexer. Have you checked that Enco unit for runout? Also do the sliding surfaces stay clean when grinding with it? Are you concerned about grit getting into the unit at all?

I've been looking at one as an add-on for the grinder, but have always wondered if the grinding dust would bother it...

Dan

Hi Calvin,

Very nice WIP. Thought about something similar, but finishing on the lathe with a small die grinder attached. Surface grinder is a much better idea!

If you don't mind a few questions about the spin indexer. Have you checked that Enco unit for runout? Also do the sliding surfaces stay clean when grinding with it? Are you concerned about grit getting into the unit at all?

I've been looking at one as an add-on for the grinder, but have always wondered if the grinding dust would bother it...

Dan

No Dan I have not checked it for runout.
So far the only grinding I've done with it is making washers and I don't have any problem with grit getting in it.

Awesome, I love seeing a machinist at work, nice. Although I don't make folders yet, it's still nice neat to see it all.

Wayne

Back