wart hog tusk knife and sheath

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
Got just the stitching done and that will take 20 min . You cant tell its not finished so I thought I may as well show it. the blade is made from a billet I bought 52100 and I heat treated it in canola oil,has some file work on the spine. Did a spitting cobra white sheath saddle stitched with 35 pound thread . I put the copper rivots on and did some stamping on the pins and leather.
HPIM2418.jpg
HPIM2419.jpg
HPIM2406.jpg

That wart hog tusk is awesome!

There's those rivets again, you do realize I will relentlessly pursue you till you stop using those awful things right? :p:unsure:2guns

Kidding!

Well, sorta :D

This time the rivots do have a purpose . The knife3 fits so tight that it was splitting the seam . So I beefed it up with the rivots. It woulda probably been good just stitched but when it spit I got worried . I think as the copper ages it will darken and blend alot more.

Eh, :) You know I'm just yanking your chain buddy. :D

What happened to make it come out too tight?

Otherwise it looks good, with some practice and care you'll get those lines straighter and polish up the technique. So far, as new as you are, your going great. Half the battle is listening and taking the advice of those more experienced crafters, and you do that very well.

Thanks , ok where the knife slides into the sheath the blade fits in the sheath perfect nice and snug but the belt loop is incorperated as part of the sheath I had to mold that part of the sheath on the knife because the gaurd was sticking out to far to just slide in . It still worked but woulda been better with a brass gaurd.

Ah yes! I see now. An easy solution is to build a shelf in front of the belt loop for the guard to sit on and not gouge or push on the loop. I have to do it quite often for Bowie style knives with big guards and really thick handles. I'll try to take a picture of what I mean if you need a visual, its a ton of skiving but well worth it for a more professional look.

Real nice looking knife. So Unique.
One man's garbage is another man's pearl. I like the copper rivets. I do.
I think they will patina nicely and look even better.
My Best, Dozier

Cool... Unbelievably I was just sent 5 warthog tusks to make a knife handle. How strange that I came across this..

Back