WARNING!!!

Jason Volkert

I just heard about some E-bay sellers selling steel is not real. They are calming they have 5160, 1084, and who knows what else. It is all MILD STEEL. They are catching a lot of new knifemakers out there. I can't believe how low some people are. I know anybody that been doing this for a while wouldn't buy high carbon steel ebay but just a warning for anybody new out there. Buy known knife steel from known knife steel suppliers

It’s a shame but seems like some sites are comprised by a few of those unscrupulous dealers wanting to turn a fast buck. Like Rick - my go to stores are Alpha Knife Supply and Aldo’s. Don’t go to the metal marked store anymore.

Well, I fell for it lock, stock and barrel. Spent hours designing and then profiling (I'm not slow, just that those files are !) my first knife, fired up my new forge, turned on my new pyrometer, followed the instructions to the letter, and, voila, a really soft piece of steel emerged. Needless to say, I was really disappointed. I went back to the seller on eBay and read the reviews and sure enough all that headache could have been avoided. So, lesson learned. I thank you Volkert forge for the warning. Just in my case,too late.

Well, I fell for it lock, stock and barrel. Spent hours designing and then profiling (I'm not slow, just that those files are !) my first knife, fired up my new forge, turned on my new pyrometer, followed the instructions to the letter, and, voila, a really soft piece of steel emerged. Needless to say, I was really disappointed. I went back to the seller on eBay and read the reviews and sure enough all that headache could have been avoided. So, lesson learned. I thank you Volkert forge for the warning. Just in my case,too late.
That sucks!!! That's why I posted it. If I spent "Hours" making and then find out Its goona be just a letter opener I would probably lose my cool

Stuff like this has been going on for some time now. Several years ago I spotted an ad in a knife magazine, selling steel they claimed was 52100 flat bar. Red flag #1..... 52100 is NOT produced in flat bar....unless someone has purchased round stock, then re-rolled, or forged it flat, OR had it produced in sheet/flats as Aldo does. I called them and they swore up and down that it was 52100...... so I took a chance and ordered ONE 3ft piece. By the time shipping was done, it was about $23 total.

It came, and as soon as I started forging on it....it felt very "mushy" under the hammer compared to what I knew was 52100. I again called them, told them my thoughts, and added that I was going to have it analyzed, because I simply didn't believe it was 52100. Long story short, about two weeks later the report came back...... O1 steel. More so now, than at anytime during my 30+ year Bladesmithing career, it is BUYER BEWARE! If I do not personally know the outfit/people I am buying steel from.....I don't buy. If I don't fully trust them without reservation..... I don't buy. As of right now, there are only 3 places that I will purchase steel.....and that because each has gained my trust over time.

Stuff like this has been going on for some time now. Several years ago I spotted an ad in a knife magazine, selling steel they claimed was 52100 flat bar. Red flag #1..... 52100 is NOT produced in flat bar....unless someone has purchased round stock, then re-rolled, or forged it flat, OR had it produced in sheet/flats as Aldo does. I called them and they swore up and down that it was 52100...... so I took a chance and ordered ONE 3ft piece. By the time shipping was done, it was about $23 total.

It came, and as soon as I started forging on it....it felt very "mushy" under the hammer compared to what I knew was 52100. I again called them, told them my thoughts, and added that I was going to have it analyzed, because I simply didn't believe it was 52100. Long story short, about two weeks later the report came back...... O1 steel. More so now, than at anytime during my 30+ year Bladesmithing career, it is BUYER BEWARE! If I do not personally know the outfit/people I am buying steel from.....I don't buy. If I don't fully trust them without reservation..... I don't buy. As of right now, there are only 3 places that I will purchase steel.....and that because each has gained my trust over time.

And what three places are those? Just out of curiosity?

New Jersey Steel Baron (Aldo), Kelly Cupples, and SB Specialty Metals LLC (for stainless)

That doesn't mean you, or anybody else should trust/rely on them too..... those are simply suppliers who have earned my unwavering trust over the years, and have never given me any reason to doubt them.

Good quality knife steel is more difficult to obtain today, then at any time during my career. If you don't do your homework, or you let "a deal" drive you, then you're sure to be disappointed.

Alpha knife supply has always provided me with excellent steel,I get my tool steel from a machine shop supply,NJSB has been a good one also although I did get some A 2 from them that did some very weird stuff.

Back