W2 240mm Hybrid Gyuto

ok yep for sure there should be a much larger market for great kitchen knives and more so with the drive to start making more great home made from scratch food (not a box and can dump in a pot meal )

I think it has to do with "food TV" it's now Cool to cook at home. & the knife block filled with mixed customs has replaced the " henckels block" amongst the home cooking elite.
I have talked with a few US knife makers about kitchen knives and most look at the " cliental" the wrong way. They think pro Chefs are the ones who buy high $$ knives. Truth is I'm one of the few, most chefs use very cheep through away knives. However any chef going on TV ( more & more every day) finds the need to have a little bling- bling for the camera. Just look at the knives the chef on the show "top chef" use. I know for a fact that 9.75 out of 10 of them buy those knives right before they go on the show.
My point:
Home cooks look at these tv shows & see the chefs using big $$ knives. Wall street home cook Joe sees this, that's who buys custom kitchen knives. There are more "Wall street joe's" every day. Home cooking trend is growing very fast and the need to " keep up with the Jones's" will always be there.

I've been watching this trend develop for years now and it's almost reaching critical mass. Get on board or get left behind. :)

And -- as I see it -- the trend is really going to continue as these youngsters today grow up. I was talking to a 5, 6, 8, and 10 year old about a year ago and they were watching food network for fun. I then asked them who their favorite chefs were, and they all had a favorite chef. The five year old girl said Cat Cora.

Give those kids 10 years and quality cutlery will be selling even better.

k.

I do a weekly cooking class for about 10 years now. Used to be 10-12 house wives and retired older men. Now it's 25-30 and most of them are under 30, have two 14 year old girls & one 16 year old boy.

I do a weekly cooking class for about 10 years now. Used to be 10-12 house wives and retired older men. Now it's 25-30 and most of them are under 30, have two 14 year old girls & one 16 year old boy.

I've always wanted to do something like that with my wife.

I'm MUCH more a foodie than she is. She's not incompetent by any means, just likes to let me do my thing

Back