StephanFowler

All finished up

W2 Tool steel
.085 at the spine's thickest
240+mm edge length
Cocobolo handle

240mmchef-1.jpg

240mmchef-2.jpg

That is Fing sweet knife, I want one! Stephen are you related To Ed?

nope, not related to Ed.

I am getting this knife into a passaround at KF to try and make sure I'm doing as well as I hope I am before I get to heavy into the chefs knife market.

nope, not related to Ed.

I am getting this knife into a passaround at KF to try and make sure I'm doing as well as I hope I am before I get to heavy into the chefs knife market.
Why not pass it around here 1st? No chef's left at KF we all got kicked off.

I have another chef's knife, almost exactly the same but not quite as tall, about 45mm that I was intending to keep for my kitchen I could passaround here, if anyone is interested.

Dave Martell asked me to do a passaround for KF which turned out the knife shown here. I decided to go ahead with the KF passaround and hope that things get patched up between Dave and KF.

I really look forward to working with Dave as he has been an absolute gentleman and helped me immensely with figuring out this chef knife "thing"

Most kitchen knife enthusiasts and Chefs think that the Japanese Smiths are the only/ best way to go. American made knives are thought to be the worst, thanks to Dexter Russell. I how ever find that the best custom kitchen knives come from custom American makers! Every U.S. custom I have ( with the exception of wildfire) is far superior to any thing I have from Japan ( & I have some dam fine Japanese knives).
As a chef I have to stay ahead of the curve in the food world, and I'm good at it. So believe me when I tell you that the time for US custom kitchen knives is just starting. Ten years from now Chef knives will out number tactical folders at the knife shows. The trouble ( I think ) US knife makers have with kitchen knives is the price point. Why make a kitchen knife when I can make a $2000 bowie? I have a few reasons,
1) a custom chef knife from a top Japanese maker costs 3x today then it did 2 years ago.
2) price point has caught up, lot of people paying top $$ for custom kitchen knives these days, thanks top chef, thanks food network.
3) people who buy kitchen knives buy more then one, returning customers.
4) kitchen knives were out quicker then other knives do.

So there my speech all you knife makers out there, get in the kitchen. Like me telling you to buy netflix stock two years ago.

I'd be interested in a passaround as well.

I've been lurking since last year, and might be termed another KF refugee.

would you all rather I do a new knife of whatever design and do a WIP for the passaround??

(I was kinda looking forward to having a knife of my own in my kitchen, but I could give it up for a passaround if you'd really like.)

Speaking as someone who spent three and a half years on Bob Kramer's backlog, I have to agree with Chef Niloc, there is a ready market for custom kitchen knives.

4) kitchen knives were out quicker then other knives do.

if by this you mean you can get them ground out faster i have to beg to differ as while there is less steel to grind over all the blade flexes and you can t get full contact with the platten if you lean on it so you have ot use light pressure and high belt speeds

also HT for a bowie can be much more simple less its made of SS also

its a good think i love making kitchen knives and razors for the challange and there over all usefulness

if by this you mean you can get them ground out faster i have to beg to differ as while there is less steel to grind over all the blade flexes and you can t get full contact with the platten if you lean on it so you have ot use light pressure and high belt speeds

also HT for a bowie can be much more simple less its made of SS also

its a good think i love making kitchen knives and razors for the challange and there over all usefulness

Butch,

+1 HUGE agreement on the challenge. these things can be downright frustrating, but it's fun.

I took it to mean "4) kitchen knives wear out quicker then other knives do."
I highly doubt that any of the big ol' bowies I'm so well known for will ever be sharpened as often or as aggressively as a chef's knife.
Meaning that eventually you will run out of useful knife due to sharpening, either the edge will get to thick (can be thinned) or the blade isn't tall enough to clear knuckles, or you get into soft areas that won't hold an edge, etc.

Butch,

+1 HUGE agreement on the challenge. these things can be downright frustrating, but it's fun.

I took it to mean "4) kitchen knives wear out quicker then other knives do."
I highly doubt that any of the big ol' bowies I'm so well known for will ever be sharpened as often or as aggressively as a chef's knife.
Meaning that eventually you will run out of useful knife due to sharpening, either the edge will get to thick (can be thinned) or the blade isn't tall enough to clear knuckles, or you get into soft areas that won't hold an edge, etc.

Yup, what I meant dyslexic & spell check does not always work. I'm trying to say that a knife maker can sell more kitchen knives then other types, & that high $$ kitchen knives are becoming mor popular every year.

ok yep for sure there should be a much larger market for great kitchen knives and more so with the drive to start making more great home made from scratch food (not a box and can dump in a pot meal )

Back