Vinegaroon Question

Mike Martinez

So, I've read a few posts regarding vinegaroon in various forums and they, of course, all use vinegar (CH3CO2H) and it seems to work flawlessly but has anyone used Ferric Chloride (FeCl3) instead? I've dunked a few strips in my etching "bucket," (Ferric Chloride and Vinegar in equal parts) and seem to get the same results as with my vinegaroon. Of course, I'm not completely sure how much the stronger acid will degrade the leather or if it will have any other adverse reactions but I though it was worth mentioning. I'll post pictures tomorrow when the pieces dry out.

Oh, if anyone has done this before, would you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks,
Mike

Not sure how caustic ferric chloride is (haven't used any yet)....but if it burns your skin, it will most likely be too harmful for the leather.

Thanks, Randy. I've tried both and the leather seems identical once its neutralized. The mix of vinegar, ferric Cl acid and steel "dust" dissolved in one day whereas the the same mixture minus the ferric chloride took 5 days. Also, the FeCl with vinegar seems to work faster than regular vinegaroon. Either way, you end up with a great color. Thanks again guys.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the vinegar isn't the essential ingredient here.

I believe the reaction to be between teh tannin in the leather and the dissolved steel. If you have a medium that will dissolve the wiore wool, I guess it should work.

I believe the reaction to be between teh tannin in the leather and the dissolved steel. If you have a medium that will dissolve the wiore wool, I guess it should work.

You are right. It's the iron that reacts with the leather. The vinegar or acid it just a way to get the iron into a solution. I wave used reagent grade acetic acid vinegar s 3-5%, reagent grade is 99%. With a small amount of acid I can deslove more iron, then dilute it with distilled water give me a great vinagarroon with out the smell. neutralizing the acid is not nesasery as leather is on the acidic side anyway. But if you fell the need ammonia works better, stronger base.

My question us will other solutions cause difrent reactions/ colors?

Back