VFD controled buffer

golfer

I've been looking at Baldor buffers and others thinking it would be really great if the speeds could be controlled with a VFD. Knowing nothing about that kind of stuff, I thought maybe some of you have already invented that wheel and could put me on the right path.
Thanks in advance for your help.

You will have to get a 3 phase motor to use a VFD. You can get an attachment from Harbor Freight that goes on the shaft of any 5/8" shafted motor. Baldor motors are very expensive. I sell TechTop cast aluminum motors much less expensively. They supply the motors for Baldor's European market.
For a buffer probably a 1 hp motor is sufficient with the KBAC 24D VFD. Check out the Motors and VFD page on www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you,

Thank you Wayne for your help, I'm not quite ready to jump yet but will make a decision soon.
Best wishes.

OK, I found a pretty great buy on a lightly used Baldor 3/4 hp 3ph buffer now here is another question for you guys in the know. I have a Beaumont flat disk grinder now with a VFD on it and I'm wondering about running it through a switch to run either the buffer or the flat plate. The flat plate grinder is 220v but runs thru the VFD on 120v. I'm thinking I could run the VFD directly to the switch then back to the flat plate and to the buffer via the switch. Do you guys think that is workable?

I suggest that the way to do that is to go to a big box store and buy two 4 prong outlets and one 4 prong plug. Put the plug on the cable from the VFD and an outlet from each motor. Then you can plug the VFD into which ever motor you want to run. Both motors should be rated for the same RPM.
BTW I believe that a buffer is the most dangerous piece of equipment in the shop. It will wait until you have gotten the blade good and sharp and then jerk it out of your hand and throw it at you. I have glued a disk of shag carpet (cheap Wal-Mart bathroom rug) and use that for buffing. Because you are buffing on the side it can't grab the blade and throw it at you. I believe the best place for a buffer is in the dumpster.

Let me know if I can help you.

Ed Caffrey already found a good solution:

Search for this in ebay, sells for under $10

10A/380VAC 15A/250VAC 3 Position 4PDT ON/OFF/ON 12 Pin Toggle Switch TS

wayne are you using carpet on a disc sander? My thumb and index finger are still sore from my buffer from A WEEK AGO....

How well does it work apart from the obvious safety improvement?

I am using carpet on a disk grinder (or sander). Use it just like a buffer except you are working on the side rather than the edge. You will just have to try it.

Let me know if I can help you.

Back