Very Old Saw Mill Blades

cajundad

Before I get started, just know that I'm a newbie so don't laugh at the questions. :D Or if you do, I'll laugh with you!!
A few years ago, I bought a 4 foot saw mill blade and I've heard they are made of very good steel that should work well for making knives. How possible is it to cut the knife design with my plasma cutter, grind it down and voila! I have a knife ready to use!
Does these types of steel (I have no idea what steel composition it's made of) but I'm told by old timers in the area, it's excellent steel to retain its edge and "straightness" while it's actually being used.
Thoughts anyone?

Depending on your definition of 'old' it's possible/probable that it will be good knife steel.. If it's old enough, the whole thing will be some high carbon steel, whereas modern ones most likely are a mild steel with hard teeth.
The best thing to do would be to cut off a piece, heat treat it like you plan with your knife, then break it to see if it's hardenable.
As I typed this, I'm wondering if your question is can you just cut it out, profile it and use it without doing any HT, then I'd say, no, probably not. The heat from the plasma cutter would most likely ruin any hardening

Even if it didn’t ruin the heat treat it’s too soft in saw blade form to make a good knife. I’ve used them as it’s fun to reuse old materials, even if known steel is always better, but you will have to do some HT testing to figure out if it’s appropriate steel and then re-heat treat the knife to a higher hardness.

I agree with the replies. I’ve used old saw mill head saws for bush craft knives and machetes without any problems. I did as suggested, cut a coupon and heat treated it and it did great. Good luck. BTW I cut mine with a angle grinder.

I agree with the replies. I’ve used old saw mill head saws for bush craft knives and machetes without any problems. I did as suggested, cut a coupon and heat treated it and it did great. Good luck. BTW I cut mine with a angle grinder.
Thanks guys. Since I don't have any Heat Treat equipment yet, or a grinder, I'll keep reading here, gaining some knowledge and when the time is right, purchase what I need.

You can function quite well to start with an absolute minimum of equipment. Just make certain that what you purchase is the best you can afford. You can start with as little as a drill, some files , hack saw , c-clamps and a ton of sandpaper.
BTW, welcome to the pound...from one mountain goat to another.

You can function quite well to start with an absolute minimum of equipment. Just make certain that what you purchase is the best you can afford. You can start with as little as a drill, some files , hack saw , c-clamps and a ton of sandpaper.
Agree...I have tons of tools .. most not for knife making. I have been working on building up my knife tool collection but still grind my bevels with a file. It’s time consuming but somewhat therapeutic. You’ll spend more money on sandpaper than you’d ever imagine... lol

Thanks Bruce. I have a small metal fab shop (Band saw, Very old and large English anvil, many blacksmithing hand tools, welder, TIG, plasma cutter, 20 ton H/F press). Luckily I have been purchasing quality tools while I was working over the last 25 years. But I've not focused on the larger knife making tools and because of the Covid crap, work has disappeared. So until that reappears (if), I'll likley be "getting by" on the knife focus and keep learning from forums like this one.

Thanks Bruce. I have a small metal fab shop (Band saw, Very old and large English anvil, many blacksmithing hand tools, welder, TIG, plasma cutter, 20 ton H/F press). Luckily I have been purchasing quality tools while I was working over the last 25 years. But I've not focused on the larger knife making tools and because of the Covid crap, work has disappeared. So until that reappears (if), I'll likley be "getting by" on the knife focus and keep learning from forums like this one.
This forum is the best! The access to knowledgeable makers is hard to believe

Back