Vertical Forge build

Sam Salvati

Friend Mike came over to the boss' shop today to make up a forge, I suggested we go vertical and also since we were making one why not make 2? Mike had some good pieces of thick wall pipe, I took the 6" and he took 8". Angled the burner inlet/holder, 1/4" base plates (legs later). Will line with wool then satanite over that. I have a Hones Buzzer burner, a commercially made burner I will use.

735169_10200386154447409_892619907_n.jpg

Looking Good Sam. I and building a vertical now as well and look forward to seeing what all you do to the two you are building.

Sam I see you place the burner holder on a tangent. Is this how you have build all your vertical forges? Have you ever placed the holder straight in like Don Foggs and seen a difference between the two? Even heating?

Last edited:
Man that looks good Sam. Will this be mainly for knifemaking? Is the burner blow or atmospheric?

Doug
John 3:16

Shane, I never built a forge of my own before, I prefer to buy stuff and get to work hehe. I was just thinking about different things I have read about forges, and wanted to try the angled in for a swirl effect inside. Will have to see once I get it going hehe, I can always drill it out and stick it in straight. I have a commercial Hones Brand burner I will use, atmospheric.

Hey Doug, knifemaking and other ironwork stuff, whatever I need it for.

Thanks Sam. This is my first vertical as well. I have built several horizontals and have been doing for welding so time to build the vert. I have the body cut out and welded up. The body is 10" dia 3/8's thick walled 3/8's bottom and 18" tall. It was free so nuff said lol. Will add the Kaowool and coat with sanintite later this week. I have some bubble alumina to coat the floor and 2 inches up. Itc once all that is dried. I welded up some ports to fit into the doorways.

I am interested in seeing your burner as well as hearing how being on a tangent works out. That Hones is not cheap ;) The horizontals I built were all on a tangent but I took Doug and Don's advice on positioning.

I got the hones for 5$ :D I will b e interested to see how it works on an angle too, easy fix if not. I gotta get some satanite though.

Im watching boys I want to build a vertical forge for a dual purpose if possible. For heat treat/forging and melting metal as a foundry forge. Im watching and looking to see what is the best burner for the buck. But one that burns efficently. Later Kellyw

Is there a way to put a tray or shelve in a vertical forge so you don't have to hold your work with tongs while it is heating?
Thanks,
Doug
John 3:16

Doug I was told that the work piece would need a handle or you run the risk of dropping it in the forge. Now a shelf can be added to the front and back or as in my case a handle stand that will adjust for the length and weight of the piece. Sounds like a lot but its just an adjustable stand.

Last edited:
Back