Vertical bandsaw blade for slicing billets

javan.dempsey

Hey guys, I don't post here much, but I thought this might be the best place to ask. I'm looking for new blades for my big vertical bandsaw, but I'm looking to hear suggestions based on the use of resawing damascus billets, *not* cutting contours for knife profiles.

The reason I force that qualifier, is because I oft hear the lenox diemaster ii's touted, which are designed for, and admittedly great for contour cutting, but what I want to know, is which blades are ideal for cutting straight slices out of billets. I don't think the diemaster iis are it, but hopefully, someone can refer me to what is.

I'm not saying the dm ii's aren't great, they are, but not for this application imho. Any insights?

I just bought one and have barely used it and 1" worth of teeth are gone in one spot and several others over the length of blade. Probably from cutting TI but Im done with them. Cost too much to not last longer than they do.

Dave

I have always had great results using Starrett brand Bimetal saw blades on my 64 1/2" band saw.
also I run it on the slowest or middles setting.
I also get my 3/4" Starrett 105" Band saw blades from the same seller on ebay.
His seller handle is bjamsn Contact him if you like? He responds on weekends so you can ask for what you want. he makes them from Starrett stock, Made in the good ole USA.

Good Luck!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Laurence

I'm trying out the local blade maker's bi metal blades atm, in a few different configs, so we'll see how they hold up. I can't recall the name of the stock, but they assured me they were made domestically and of comparable quality to the lenox's and etc.

Of course the major advantage to buying local is that when I actually had them made too long on accident, they had no prob cutting and rewelding them, since my blade welder won't handle bi-metal blades properly.

I am going to try the Lenox QXPs for my horizontal saw next time however.

What sort of tooth config/tpi you guys been using in your vertical saws for slicing billets?

Back