Banned
“Vanessa Virginiensis”
(Bush Bug Series)

OAL- 6.5 inches
Blade length- 2.5 inches
Precision hand forged from 5160 steel

DSCN2278-009.JPG

Thanks! :)

Yes Kevin, I made a scraper out of 1095, for subtle linier accents. I'll try to get a pic of it up soon...

Here's the little scraper. I've never seen one like it before, but it worked great. It's about 6 inches OAL, from 1/8 inch 1095. The business end is split into two prongs. The longer prong rides along the back edge of the blade and the shorter prong does the scraping.

DSCN2286.JPG

Thanks Jeremiah.

I decided to give each of the Bush Bugs an individual name,... of a bug. “Vanessa Virginiensis” of course, is a butterfly.

sweet. I saw Alan Longmire (in a video talk about) one of those scrapers for putting the fullers in Bell-type dirks. Of course, the Bell Dirks had little blades, and therefore little fullers. I made a scraper a lot like that, only a little bigger scraping tooth, a few years ago. I used it and meant to keep it but lost it in the move to the new shop.
Still, they are not too hard to make. I always use old files for that sort of stuff. I use files to shape heat treated swords pretty often, and therefore I have a lot of worn out files. So, I use them to make all of my personal tools that I can.

great idea, the scraper, the knife series, all of it.

Kevin, The two handed scraper I use for larger blades has removable/interchangeable bits and *reversible guide* for scraping both sides of the blade in the same direction. Those were the types I was familiar with. However, after reading your post I did some searching and did find some one handed scrapers that are very similar to the one in the pic... I guess it makes sense. :) A left and right sided pair would be a nice alternative to the two handed reversible type. With just a one sided scraper you have to scrape one side of the blade towards the point and the other side away from the point, which seems a bit awkward, but it works great with a little practice and is simple to make.

Last edited:
yeah, the return on time investment is great for those, and for sens. Your vid from way back, along with walter sorrells's vids, got me into sens, and more generally into the idea that hand scraping was an efficient way to remove material.

Thanks.

Vince Evans had or has a series of pics on his website showing various scrapers he made. Some of them are a lot like yours. Good ideas happen simultaneously, it seems.

Back