Utility/EDC dressed in all black

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's another one headed out the door. This collector asked for something "tactical" as dark as possible. I don't like that word because everything is tactical now days. Quite a marketing ploy. This same knife could easily make a nice hunter/field knife.

Specs:

1080+ steel, .182 at the ricasso
8 1/8" overall, 3 7/8" blade
Black g-10 scales and pins
Tapered tang
Aggressive thumb notches but have all the sharp edges and corners knocked off
Contoured scales

This feels really great in hand.

Tracker002.jpg

Tracker015.jpg

Tracker019.jpg

Tracker027.jpg

John, that really is a pretty knife all around, and I understand the desire to have a dark tactical. My first blush response though was that the grip is missing something - for such excellent lines and blade, the handle seemed like it was missing something. Maybe a parkerized lanyard tube? Or even a gunmetal mosaic tube ... not a criticism at all, and I think the customer will be very pleased.

I like it John,
I think the all black handle is very cool looking.
Had to look twice to see the pins.

Greg Shahan

John, that really is a pretty knife all around, and I understand the desire to have a dark tactical. My first blush response though was that the grip is missing something - for such excellent lines and blade, the handle seemed like it was missing something. Maybe a parkerized lanyard tube? Or even a gunmetal mosaic tube ... not a criticism at all, and I think the customer will be very pleased.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I thought about using a couple of stainless tubes in the lanyard hole and one between the pins. The collector insisted on nothing shiny. When I was finishing the handle, I thought I should have looked to see if I could find any mild steel tubing that I could etch dark. It does look somewhat plain in some pics with the lighting. In person it's not quite so bad. The g-10 has a lot of 'pattern' to it. I probably will try the same knife with some silver tubes for contrast.

Thanks for the comment.

John, your work on this knife really got me thinking about subdued mosaic. Once I get a little more confident, most of my knives will be gifts to my sailors and Marines who appreciate tactical gear, and yours here is among the finest I've seen so I am aspiring to make a knife that nice one day!

Back