USMC inspired EDC

Patrice Lemée

Finally something to show. A small EDC for a good friend of mine. A prior Marine as you probably deduced by the USMC. It's a take-down that I like to make so much. I am exploring engraving more and more and I found out that engraving on a curved surface is a whole new opportunity to practice swearing and throwing stuff around. ;)

Blade length: 3.875” OAL: 8.25”
Grind: Flat
Steel: AEB-L
Handle: African Blackwood
Fittings: Bronze, Stainless steel
Take-Down Construction

USMC_Russo1.jpg

As always, with the limited shop time I have, too much time passes between using some skills and I loose the muscle memory needed. I am hoping that I can get a lot of said shop time soon and have more to show you Ladies and Gents. And hopefully make some real progress in the process.

Thanks for looking and as always, feedback is more than welcomed. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Beautiful work - I can't imagine any better!
... and we prefer the term "prior Marine" vs. ex Marine. Ex implies the title has been stripped. :biggrin:

Sorry Rob, I did not know.:2: Should have just said Marine cause I imagine, once a Marine always a Marine.
Beginning of next year I will make a larger one with similar handle to donate to Mission 22. Saddens me deeply.:2:

Here are a couple more pics.

USMC_Russo2.jpg

USMC_Russo3.jpg

Thanks again for the compliments, very much appreciated. :thumbup:

How do you advise your customers on the takedown piece? Do you include a wrench? I'd be scared to take anything in my tool box to that lovely pommel bolt. That is truly exceptional work!

re: Mission 22. I'm a certified military suicidoligist, amongst other things, and have been working in intervention and prevention training for bystanders. I make knives myself to keep in touch with my own reasons for living. We're seeing a shift in active duty culture with improved responses and care. But the veteran situation is devastating - I have several theories as to why, but for another venue. I'd like to personally thank you for your support of helping our at risk veterans.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the good words Rob.
I did make a small brass wrench to make sure the pommel bolt is not marred.

I am glad to hear that active duty is getting better help. That will help reduce the number of future veterans needing help. Sad thing is that there is still so many current veterans that do. You and your brothers and sisters are the ones deserving of the real thanks my friend.

Here is a pic of the sheath with a quick brass key I made to take it apart without marring the nut.

Thanks again for looking.

Patrice,
that is a very nice knife. I especially like the backstrap and pommel cap. How did you make it, if you don't mind? I need to learn to make something like that to go with sabers.

kc

Kevin, thanks, glad you like it. I am not sure what you mean about the backstrap though. The pommel was simply rough out on the KMG and then refined with files and sandpaper. I did use the mill to hollow it out a bit for weight reduction.

Is that what you meant?

Back