Using magnets to fix warp

I usually use a couple 1-2-3 blocks on an arbor press. That(magnets)
might be easier as you could add "time" to it...

Last edited:
The issue that usually occurs with that method is the "dents" the steel bolts leave in a blade you're straightening. Not always, but if the blade is in an annealed state, or is differentially heat treated, you can cause more work for yourself using steel bolts/rods, because of creating "dents". The answer? Use non-ferric rods such as brass. Drill a small hole in each rod. and use a stiff wire to "hang" the rods from the vise jaws.
IMG_3606.jpg

Use non-ferric rods such as brass.

So many good ideas coming from years of experience. Another one I’m going to have to remember! I hate to show my way, it was old wood pen blanks duct taped to a file which was duct taped to the vise jaw with a single wood pen blank taped to opposite vise jaw....you get the idea. Somewhat successful but impractical and one time use... so many better ideas out there.

Good idea, I have made dents using my flypress tooling I think I will make a three pin for it with brass, thanks

A while ago I made up a set of Vise jaw "TEETH" for a guy out of 3/4" thick UHMW plastic. I was looking at that and immediately thought to make another set of those, mill out one long slot on one side and two short slots on the other to leave essentially a 3 point surface on the inside about 1/2" deep. I think it would work quite well and wouldn't Mar or dent the steel in any way. I have a good amount of it here, might try to make up a set for myself.

The issue that usually occurs with that method is the "dents" the steel bolts leave in a blade you're straightening. Not always, but if the blade is in an annealed state, or is differentially heat treated, you can cause more work for yourself using steel bolts/rods, because of creating "dents". The answer? Use non-ferric rods such as brass. Drill a small hole in each rod. and use a stiff wire to "hang" the rods from the vise jaws.
IMG_3606.jpg
nice upgrade suggestion!

So many good ideas coming from years of experience. Another one I’m going to have to remember! I hate to show my way, it was old wood pen blanks duct taped to a file which was duct taped to the vise jaw with a single wood pen blank taped to opposite vise jaw....you get the idea. Somewhat successful but impractical and one time use... so many better ideas out there.
I guess the wood pins would be just as good as the brass?

Back