Using foil when H/T

Greetings,

I'm going to use foil for the first time on some D2 I've got. That stuff isn't cheap....wow! anyway how much do you use when you wrap a blade? and use pliers to crimp the edges...? Do you put a wood shaving inside before it goes in the oven?

Do you leave it in the foil when it gets clamped in between the plates?

Thanks
Lee Haag

I use just enough to get the job done. I double seam everything. Make a pouch big enough to fit the blade. Double seam the top and seal it off. No wood or anything in there. Some guys sprinkle powder in there to keep it from sticking. Yes. Leave the foil on while plate quenching. The quicker the quench the better. D2 is a great steel if done correctly. It gets nasty sharp. I love the stuff

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I fold the edges over and roll them shut with a little tool made for the task. I don't remember where I bought it. Wear gloves! This stuff will cut you bad and you won't know it until your bleeding everywhere

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Fold every edge, then each corner, then each edge at least one more time. I slide a smooth face hammer along the seems, and smash the corners down to get a good airtight seam. This method seems to work for me. Good luck!

Back