Uses for Aluminum?

jimbobwashere

I have several .25 inch large plates of aluminum at my house. What are some good uses for it that yall would suggest?

I was thinking about possible handle material? I'm open to all suggestions.

Aluminum is not great for handle material for fixed blades. It's cold to the hand, it tarnishes, it scratches and dents easily, it's ugly.
You can often see knives from the 40's to 60's with aluminum handles or bolsters/guards. Theater knives from WW2 often used aluminum for handles. These are fairly collectable.

I see it often used for guards and it seems to work for that OK, not great -- but OK.

It's light weight and easy to work. You can buff it up to a high polish to the point where it looks nearly like chrome or polished stainless.
It's strength is "good enough" for the right applications.

It is commonly used for frame lock folders, some of them are very good. Protech is an example. Great knives for a fair price.

It is good for jig plates and making shop tools with like a rise/fall indicator.
There are dozens of types of aluminum. Some is gummy, some is chippy, some is harder. Generally, 6061 type aluminum is considered a good all around aluminum. You can't tell the type by looking at it. Other types of aluminum aren't necessarily bad. It's just formulated for a specific application.

I'm trying to say something nice about it but it's hard. I just think in almost every case other than cost, I can find a better metal to work with. Having said that, I probably use aluminum every day in some application or other.....and I cuss it nearly every time.

Glad you asked. I feel better now. :biggrin:
t

Bossdog is spot on with aluminum usage. If you look at old western knives (circa 1960ish), many had aluminum guards and pommels. You do not see it being used too much lately. Partly because there are much better materials to use for building a knife.

But, a good use for your stash may be using it as patterns for your designed knives. It is easy to work and shape. You can drill, sand, mark, scratch or etch on it with almost anything. Should work fairly well for making patterns to use again and again.

DeMo

But, a good use for your stash may be using it as patterns for your designed knives. It is easy to work and shape. You can drill, sand, mark, scratch or etch on it with almost anything. Should work fairly well for making patterns to use again and again.

DeMo

I second the use for patterns/templates on thick blades.

Also a possible use would be to use it to make prop knives for those wacky Cosplay kids who seem to eat up the odd and fantasy style blades to sit on a shelf.
If it was me and I had the numilum I would use as a pattern or visual of what a knife looks to a potential customer that they could palpate and feel how it fits in their hand.

Great ideas man. Thank you for that. Then I can save all my steel for sales :)

I second the use for patterns/templates on thick blades.

Also a possible use would be to use it to make prop knives for those wacky Cosplay kids who seem to eat up the odd and fantasy style blades to sit on a shelf.
If it was me and I had the numilum I would use as a pattern or visual of what a knife looks to a potential customer that they could palpate and feel how it fits in their hand.

im not sure what kind of aluminum it is. its a few pieces from some old military vehicles that were just gunna get thrown away. it's extremely tough though.

Aluminum is not great for handle material for fixed blades. It's cold to the hand, it tarnishes, it scratches and dents easily, it's ugly.
You can often see knives from the 40's to 60's with aluminum handles or bolsters/guards. Theater knives from WW2 often used aluminum for handles. These are fairly collectable.

I see it often used for guards and it seems to work for that OK, not great -- but OK.

It's light weight and easy to work. You can buff it up to a high polish to the point where it looks nearly like chrome or polished stainless.
It's strength is "good enough" for the right applications.

It is commonly used for frame lock folders, some of them are very good. Protech is an example. Great knives for a fair price.

It is good for jig plates and making shop tools with like a rise/fall indicator.
There are dozens of types of aluminum. Some is gummy, some is chippy, some is harder. Generally, 6061 type aluminum is considered a good all around aluminum. You can't tell the type by looking at it. Other types of aluminum aren't necessarily bad. It's just formulated for a specific application.

I'm trying to say something nice about it but it's hard. I just think in almost every case other than cost, I can find a better metal to work with. Having said that, I probably use aluminum every day in some application or other.....and I cuss it nearly every time.

Glad you asked. I feel better now. :biggrin:
t

Back