Use of desiccant to keep scale and block moisture under control

Grizzly Bear

Hey Knife Dogs, I need some advice on moisture proofing.

With all the moisture in Texas and Louisiana lately, I am afraid of moisture content rising in my knife scale and block stock.

Would it be a good idea to place my handle material in plastic containers (Tupper Ware) and throw in some desiccant packets to help control the moisture?

I currently have them in my bedroom closet in an unsealed plastic file drawer. My piano is next to my bedroom and the keys frequently stick when the humidity gets to high.

Do you think I should seal them in Tupper Ware with desiccant or use a different method.

Thanks for your advise.

Grizzly Bear

I would just leave them be, that's my opinion. I live right on the gulf of mexico in Fl. and the humidity here is bad. I keep my finished knives in a humidity controlled box and have found that "some" woods will shrink enough that you can feel the tang above the handles. when I pull those knives out for a few day, they go back to a smooth finish. so my way of thinking is if you pull wood out of a humidity controlled atmosphere and start cutting it and using it for knife handles when your shops humidity is 90% strange and frustrating things could happen. that is one reason most all the wood I use is stabilized.

It's not such a problem here. One of my maker friends has a very plain cabinet with a light in it that is always on. He keeps his not stabilized wood scales in it.
Frank

Back