Update on Blaze crud?

Remy

Has there been any new news regarding the black crud off the backer of Blaze belts?

I've got to put in a belt order for mostly 120 and coarser and blaze are obviously a top choice in that range. I'm tempted even with the crud. I've been using some 120's and really liking them. I've actually taken to skipping from 36grit on the 984's to 120 grit blaze when doing bevels on heat treated stuff. The 60 grit mid-step seemed pointless given how well the blaze work. Unfortunately I'm down to my last 36 and no 120's. oops. Guess I should have done that belt inventory a little sooner. :rolleyes:

I am still noticing it with the last batch I'm running. I stop every so often and take a scraper to it, then layout fluid and file the platen with a large mill file to approximately flat anyhow while I'm working so it doesn't cause me too much trouble. Any refining belts that the crud underneath would pose finish problems with don't load up the platen anyhow. But I definitely hear you - I've only noticed it over the last year's belt runs or so. I also have skipped many grits until my progression now is whatever belt is available in the Blaze 36-60 grit range, Blaze 100 or 120, 100x Norax, 45x, 15x. Then I use white compound on a worn 15x and go to the buff. Having only 5 belt grades is a big space saver and my finish has improved.

Back