unimaginable lathe

csalt09

I have a opportunity to get a great deal on a unimat metal lathe. I can get it for free but will need to buy a chuck and tooling. Do you think it would be worth getting? I only made one folder but will make more in the future. Would this be a useful lathe for folders or would something bigger be better? The title should say unimat

Last edited:
Well, I'm of the mind that FREE is always a Good deal providing you want it. I make folders and dont really use my lathe for them too much. You didn't say what size lathe, that would be a deciding factor too. Do you have the room for it and not cramp your self. Does it run? You can pick up the stuff you need for a. Very reasonable price on eBay or crag list .

erik

The Emco Unimat lathes are good little machines. I believe they are Swiss made. You will always end up buying tooling regardless of the machine you get so that should just be expected. On my folders, I only use my lathe for turning thumbstuds from 1/4" and 3/16" stock. I know you said the machine is free but, don't turn down anything extra that is offered with it, especially if you don't know what it is.

Bob

Get it! And use it in your folder making. I use it to make thumb studs like Bob said but I also make pivot pins,stop pins,stand offs,washers,sizing screw heads,and on and on. I like to make as many of my own parts as I can plus jigs and all kinds of tools. I repeat,GET IT!

Ok thanks, sounds like ill get it. Running out of room in my shop but it should be worth it. It's pretty small.

Back