Two sheaths more

pepin1948

Two sheaths.
Pattern from Chan J, Geer. 9-10 Hermann Oak Leather. Machine stitched.

I hope you like them

Pepin

Attachments

• dos_0260.jpg
    dos_0260.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 122
Jose, my friend, I compliment you on your rendering of Chan's patterns. Chan is the undisputed master of that style which is very complicated and ornate. I am told that it originated in Wyoming and is called Sheridan carving in recent years. It was around when I first started leathercraft about 65 years ago. At that time we did not identify carving by style but by maker. I find this style excellent for display but a little pricey for every day use. Very few leather craftsmen have the artistic skills to create their own patterns to fit a designated space or area and not create a chopped, cropped appearance. To create a free flowing appearance, that is contained within an irregular area or border, is not without difficulty but the enhanced over-all picture is worth the effort. You will find that, as you progress, you will start to develop your own style that will identify you as the maker. This is good as it will make you recognizable in the field and make you a leader rather than a follower. My very best to you, Pepin!!!! --Sandy--

Jose, my friend, I compliment you on your rendering of Chan's patterns. Chan is the undisputed master of that style which is very complicated and ornate. I am told that it originated in Wyoming and is called Sheridan carving in recent years. It was around when I first started leathercraft about 65 years ago. At that time we did not identify carving by style but by maker. I find this style excellent for display but a little pricey for every day use. Very few leather craftsmen have the artistic skills to create their own patterns to fit a designated space or area and not create a chopped, cropped appearance. To create a free flowing appearance, that is contained within an irregular area or border, is not without difficulty but the enhanced over-all picture is worth the effort. You will find that, as you progress, you will start to develop your own style that will identify you as the maker. This is good as it will make you recognizable in the field and make you a leader rather than a follower. My very best to you, Pepin!!!! --Sandy--

You are right Sandy. I started carving three years ago, just one year full time.At the beginning , I think every one copy the masters, as it was done by painters , sculptors etc.. for hundreds years. In my case I cite my fonts to honor who I consider my masters. Working hard I think I will get it. Thank you for your support and advices.
Pepin

Pepin, mi amigo, the carving is very well done. Do I see a touch of a Robert Baird tool gently lifting the petals on the flower?

Please keep posting your work. It is beautiful.

Buena suerte!

Paul

Back