Twisted Damascus

Benjy

I made my first twisted Damascus last week end, I started with 11 layers, 6 of 1084 and 5 15n20. I welded forged out cut and restocked 3 layers so 33 layers. I then twisted it 10 times in 2 heats. I did 2 separate billets, one came out perfect and the other had some cracks on the edge but still had enough to make a new designed EDC.
So if I did not restack to 33 layers and only twisted 5 times, would that make thicker layers at more of an angle across the blade?

Attachments

• 20190407_193055.jpg
    20190407_193055.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19

springer82

Yes you will have thicker layers. More of an angle???? You can do that while forging. I have never made a HIGH layer blade. The most I have made is around 90 layers. I like around 40/50 layers myself. It's one of those individual things. Put them in FC for 5 minutes. Clean them up and see what they look like. You can also soak then in instant coffee. That really brings out the layers. Best of luck!!

Freds Edge

The blades look good if you want to change the pattern you can do that by changing the type of grind you do . I would suggest getting Jim Hrisoulas book The Complete Bladesmith , he dose a very good job of explaining patterns.

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
The angle of the pattern will change depending on how many twists per inch you do. I like a 30 - 40 layer pattern with about 1 twist per inch.

Benjy

The angle of the pattern will change depending on how many twists per inch you do. I like a 30 - 40 layer pattern with about 1 twist per inch.

I am going to try a billet this weekend, I am going to use 11 layers and forge it out to 12 inches and only twist it 5 times. We will see what I get.
I like the low layer count, probably because as I get older it is hard for me to see the high layer count! Hahaha!