Tuxedo Damascus gent's folder

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I just finished up this very small slim gents folder.

1084/1095/W2/15n20 Damascus 2 5/8" blade with "twisted steel" fileworked spine. Black g-10 scales with white g-10 pivot and screw collars. Blackened titanium hardware. Black g-10 backspacer with twisted filework. Jeweled titanium lock and liners. 3 1/4" closed. Ultra smooth action on PB washers with ceramic detent.

Beautiful knife, John. Great presentation photo again, too.

I'm intrigued by the damascus mix... idk - still learning - carbon content, toughness, and different contrasts?

Looks overall very light and the twisted spine/backspacer is very cool.

Beautiful knife, John. Great presentation photo again, too.

I'm intrigued by the damascus mix... idk - still learning - carbon content, toughness, and different contrasts?

Looks overall very light and the twisted spine/backspacer is very cool.
I mostly used the varying steels for a particular height/layer thickness (based on what I already had on hand) that I was after for another billet not because of any particular property they imparted to the blade.

This piece was leftover from that billet. But a side effect of that mix is a subtle variance of black/grays in the carbon layers due to the different manganese content of the 1095 and w2 compared to the 1084.

The 1095 and w2 may impart an overall higher carbon content to the mix than standard 1080/15n20 but I doubt it's high enough to make much real world difference.

It is still very important (at least to me) that all the steels mix well and have similar heat treats/thermal properties, which these all do.

I mostly used the varying steels for a particular height/layer thickness (based on what I already had on hand) that I was after for another billet not because of any particular property they imparted to the blade.
I hadn't thought of different etching rates. Along with the color differences that's a great detail.

Back