Trying to gauge interest in a new sharpening/de-burring tool

Drew Riley

Hey guys,
Not trying to turn this into a sales thread, so I won't be discussing pricing or anything, but I've recently been redesigning an abrasives platen that I made some time ago, and I got to thinking that others might find it useful as well.

I like to make knives and tools, and often found myself using abrasive papers to sharpen and/or de-burr them. The standard method of taping or gluing them to a piece of a glass or a surface plate seemed a little clunky to me, so I made something that I thought would more resemble a bench stone and be a little more convenient to set up at the same time.

I made a couple of vids that show the general usage/idea that I'll link below as well. If you guys could let me know what you think, or rather if you might find something like this useful, I'm thinking about making a handful of them.

Good idea. I use my little granite surface plate for that kind of work a lot, but it's always a hassle holding the paper on it. I use adhesive back rolls for some of the coarser grits, but there's limited options on the high grit paper. I don't like to put feathering adhesive on the granite either because I use it for a surface plate, so this block sounds good to me.

That looks like a good idea, and I do suspect there will be a goodly number of buyers. I like the idea of feathering adhesive - that stuff really works wonders with a disk, and I'd not thought of it for an aluminum bar to use. I can see uses other than sharpening, flattening for example.

That looks like a good idea, and I do suspect there will be a goodly number of buyers. I like the idea of feathering adhesive - that stuff really works wonders with a disk, and I'd not thought of it for an aluminum bar to use. I can see uses other than sharpening, flattening for example.

Yeah, I originally made one to sharpen some larger kitchen knives, but over the last year or so, I've really used it more for quick flattening of slip joint covers and de-burring various parts and pieces more than anything. It's been pretty dang handy. I also feel like it helps to maximize my paper a little bit more since I'm using it in sections.

Yeah, I originally made one to sharpen some larger kitchen knives, but over the last year or so, I've really used it more for quick flattening of slip joint covers and de-burring various parts and pieces more than anything. It's been pretty dang handy. I also feel like it helps to maximize my paper a little bit more since I'm using it in sections.
Drew, As almost all of my work is by hand, I really like your fixture and would be very interested in purchasing one. Just give me a price and a method of payment and I will be your first customer.
Bruce

Drew, As almost all of my work is by hand, I really like your fixture and would be very interested in purchasing one. Just give me a price and a method of payment and I will be your first customer.
Bruce

Much appreciated Bruce. I've gone ahead and ordered some tooling and materials to do a small run. I'm currently working out the finer details of how I want to machine and finish them, and once I get that dialed in, I'll have a better idea of price. Should be pretty reasonable.

Much appreciated Bruce. I've gone ahead and ordered some tooling and materials to do a small run. I'm currently working out the finer details of how I want to machine and finish them, and once I get that dialed in, I'll have a better idea of price. Should be pretty reasonable.
thanks. just let me know, cause, man, i gots about $7,29 amerkin jus burnin a hole in my pocket!

I love this idea. Like Anthony said, I hate sticking anything to my surface plate, so I end up trying to hold the paper down on it with one hand while I flatten / Deburr the work with my other hand. Trying to get a uniform scratch pattern is a challenge.

Even beyond that, before I got into making knives I always wished there was something like this for sharpening because I really liked the results from paper on glass.

I think you’ve got a winner here.

Back