Trying A San Mai Billet (WIP), Done

@sound mind, lol, I just wrote a page-length bit about temps, had a cup o coffee and realized you might be asking about air temps (my bad, Lol)!
For me, working temp is about what my body can stand and how arthur(itis) is making me feel on a given day. I have read from others that shop temp does not affect steel working temps very much, but I can't speak to the accuracy of that.

It will be interesting to follow other san mai attempts to see the differing results from thickness selections, materials used, etc.
I'm particularly interested in manipulating the layer heights and shapes as they appear according to forging and grinding techniques.

Started a little earlier today, found out where my comfort level is NOT temp-wise! Ground the welds off the edges and hit the high spots on the flats before getting started.
20181212_111024-600x1067.jpg20181212_111539-600x1067.jpg
Prior to grinding, I mic'ed the billet, started at .270, read around .230- .240 after the weld.

Started forging, time to upset the tip and get that banana shape out of it
20181212_122105-600x1067.jpg
Lunchtime, time to give the thumbs a rest.

Okay, finished forging, placed pattern on rough forged billet and rough ground shape, then started grinding the bevels.
20181212_141316-800x450_crop_485x151.jpg

I was concerned that I might grind all the outer layers off, so, I quickly took it to a rough 220 grit, took it to my workroom and dipped it in FC for a minute.

This side came out very nice.
20181212_153523-800x450_crop_787x262.jpg

This side came out also, but it has a very mottled look all over not present on the other side.
20181212_154029-800x450_crop_530x200.jpg
I will have to figure out what went on here.
A modicum of success, but now the hard work (for me) begins, the artistry to make it look crisp, clean, and presentable.

Had sanded to 600 grit last night, so I expect the next etch will make the "line" from the layers crisper and clearer. I also did a quick dip when I got to 400, the cloudy side was as clear as the previous better side. As far as what happened there, the last thing I did before leaving the shop was to cool the just ground blade in my water bucket at the grinder, pick up and old shop rag and dried the blade off. There was a dirty portion of the rag and a cleaner area, I suspect the dirty area (oils,stains, chemicals, etc.), contaminated the blade, and, as I was just trying to see where the line was on the first dip, I did not clean the blade properly prior to the dip.
I'm stopping the wip here as I have achieved what I was chasing, a hand-welded san mai billet/blade. It will take (I suspect), a good amount of time to perfect the final effect, as much of that is as much art as it is technique.

Back