Tru-Oil

Roger

Has anyone used Tru-Oil on a sheath? If so either before or after stain, how does it look, work and hold up?

Thanks

Not a good idea. Tru-Oil on leather will take forever to dry/cure, and once it does, it has zero flexibility......the leather will crack/break if flexed. I tried it....ONCE, took about a month for it to dry/cure, and the result was a sheath that that was so "hard" I couldn't get the knife into it. The other issue is that moisture will turn it milky white.

Yes, I'm glad I asked before I tried it. What does make a good finish on leather over dye?

I use a product called Aussie Leather Conditioner. It's a conditioner and weatherproofing finish. I do several coats. Apply, let soak in, buff, and then repeat. It has low sheen factor, and I like the smell. It has bee's wax and other natural ingredients in it.

While visiting a friend, Big Ed of San Pedro Sadlery in Tombstone, Az,..... he told me that the best stuff he ever used was Black Rock Finishing wax and I tried it and he was right. I love the glossy finish that it leaves on the leather.......I have about 6 jars of the stuff and I don't think I will use it up in my life time......

Back