Trouble getting nice finish with sand lines.

Mark Barone

IMG_1447.JPG Im up to 600 grit and still getting grit lines. I'm doing it in on a machine. Is that the issue. If I go higher will it still occur. I haven't had luck hand sanding. I like them on the bevel but not on the blade.

Sanding lines don't really go away until you get up above 1000 grit. The problem with going that high on the grinder is those high grit belts don't last a farting spell. People get around this a couple of ways, such as using a cork belt or a scotchbrite belt. Neither of them really make the lines go away completely, but they do a good job of blending those lines into a satin sheen that is pretty to look at. The next step after that is a buffing wheel.

Knowing the challenges you have with doing a lot of hand work, you may want to consider an alternate finish. A small air compressor and a blast cabinet can be had for not much money, especially used. You don't need boatloads of air to glass bead a little knife or even a big cabinet. Alternately, using carbon steel also opens up possibilities like a forced patina by coating the blade in mustard, etc. Those scratch lines will take on a textured look that a lot of people really like.

The popularity of tactical knives and bushcraft knives has opened people's eyes to finishes that aren't supposed to look refined. There are a lot of people out there that prefer the rugged look nowadays.

The popularity of tactical knives and bushcraft knives has opened people's eyes to finishes that aren't supposed to look refined. There are a lot of people out there that prefer the rugged look nowadays.
With the problems you have this is good advice. Go check out BlackRoc Knives. His finish looks like 60 grit. He sells allot of knives with a rough finish. Krein knives is another maker that has a course belt finish.

Thanks I like these ideas. I think I may practice some on scrap metal. This one I may leave and continue.

Back