Treating 440c.....help

pairomedicsfish

I need a quick and dirty heat treat method for a filet knife.... It is from 440c.....I have a gas forge and a tempering oven...can I get it done? I will be finishing the blade after heat treat, so decarb might not be a problem....I plan on heat treating this evening!

While I'm not anywhere neat the expert many of the others here are, but I think they will tell you much the same as what I'm saying - filet knife blade? Very thin? Gas forge? Can't do it and get any decent results with a gas forge.

Now, "IF" your gas forge has a method for monitoring the temperature? that is VERY important. Install a muffler pipe inside the gas forge, put your temperature probe inside the muffler pipe, use gas control valve to hold the temperature inside the forge to 1850ºF to 1950ºF for at least 15 minutes, then quench in warm oil, or just let air cool. Then temper in oven for 2 hrs at 375ºF or so.

Here is a good source of heat treatment specs: http://usaknifemaker.com/heat-treat...-c-57-81/heat-treat-information-data-faq.html

Your chance of success heat treating with a gas forge, a good simple steel such as 1080 is a MUCH better choice.

Ken H>

Back