Transporting a Bridgeport Mill - (with pics)

Josh Dabney

Thought I'd share my small adventure of buying a Bridgeport and getting it into my shop. I always enjoy it when others post threads like these so I snapped some pics of my new mill and transporting it.

This could probably be considered an impulse purchase but when a deal shows up on Craigslist you gotta act fast or miss out. Asking price was $1000 but he accepted $850 and included a ginormous vice and some other odds and ends including what appears to be a tailstock made to mount on the ram's dovetail (????)

The seller had access to a fork lift for loading the mill but hauling it and unloading it was another question. It must have been good karma or something because I stopped at the gas station to air up my tires on the way to look at the mill and who pulls in behind me ? A nice local fella with a big flatbed hauling a Large sized Kubota with a front end loader. I struck up a conversation and told him my dilema of transporting the mill if purchased and we quickly agreed on a price of $100 to haul the mill the 6 or so miles to my house and deliver it to the inside of the garage.

Here she is in the previous owners shop covered in a few years worth of grime at least. Not real pretty but to my untrained eye she seems to be a servicable machine with smooth tracking on all 3 axsis and ways that were obviously scraped with no alarm raising damage that I saw. Of course he had unwired the machine for a fire inspection or something and no vice mounted so a test drive was out of the question but he assured me she ran fine :les:

Bridgeport005.jpg

That fork lift made loading a snap and the seller did a fine job of driving too.

Bridgeport007.jpg

The fella doing the hauling strapped her down with a 4" ratchet strap and added an additional chain binder at my request

Bridgeport008.jpg

6 miles later and here we are back at my place with my new girl in tow :3: Of course it had to be raining for the move so I trashbagged the head and called it good. I wasn't too awful concerned about a little water on her knowing I'd be working on getting her cleaned up straight away.

Bridgeport009.jpg

Best hundred I think I ever spent !

Bridgeport010.jpg

I got all my equipment moved over to the side of the shop to have plenty of room to get her in where I want her

Bridgeport011.jpg

J-head with pullies and a 1hp 3 phase motor which I'll run off my VFD so if desired I will have infinate variable speed.

Bridgeport012.jpg

A slightly blurry shot of the ways. They all pretty much look just like this small section. I got everything cleaned up and de-greased and confirmed the one-shot lube system is working fine. All the movement is buttery smooth with no noticable play anywhere.

Bridgeport013.jpg

Another shot of her before getting serious about cleaning up the outside of the machine. I did get a pretty darn good start at cleaning her up and polished all the dials with a scotchbright.

Bridgeport015.jpg

I couldn't stand it anymore so I swiped the cord and plug off the surface grinder and wired her up. She purrs like kitten for sure ! Without a real test drive I was a little worried but she sure seems to be a real sound machine a great price.

Aside form this milling machine adventure I'd been forging out some blades and spent a few days re-arranging my jumbled shop and building a new workbench with some desk space and room for the Evenheat. My old computer desk that the oven used to sit on was a waste of valuble floor space and the press board top was blowing up so I HAD to get that replaced with a sturdy home for the oven. It's gonna be nice to have a sit down work area and all the extra shelving space I didn't have before. It's not quite 100% done yet but it's getting close. I still need to get a top on the non oven side but I'm happy to at least have a sturdy perch for the oven again :)

Bridgeport016.jpg

VERY excited about my mill upgrade Dogs so I thought i'd share with y'all.

Maybe someday I'll actually make a knife BWAAA HAHAHHAHAHA :biggrin:

Take care all

-Josh

Congratulations, it looks to be in great condition.
I purchased the same machine 10 years ago for twice the money and still believe it was a great purchase.

You might want to consider your options, when running this motor using your VFD. I believe these old motors run best at full power; using the belt pulley system to change speeds. Mine is a 3 phase motor and I run it at 100 percent through the VFD. It affects the torque.

Fred

roadtrip_jpg+001.jpg

Fred,

I'll probably stick with the pulley system and run it with the VFD at 100% just as your recommending at least for the time being. I never really wanted to spend a ton of money on upgrades for my old round column machine knowing I wanted to upgrade to a knee mill or dovetail column machine. Now that I've got Bridget the Bridgeport I'll defininatly be looking to get her a proper DRO and maybe a Power Feed.

I'm also already thinking about upgrading the motor to a 2 or 3 horse power modern motor with a conversion plate and a single pulley on the motor sized to run max rpm at 100% on the VFD and use the VFD for speed control. At this point though I think the current motor and pulley system is going to fit my needs just fine.

I need to pick up a handle for the fine downfeed on the quill and some covers that keep chips off the ways but otherwise she's a complete machine. After that I think a DRO will be my first priority.

A note to newbies thinking about a mill purchase - I picked up my round column machine knowing it would be a "starter" mill. I got that mill for a song and it's served me well getting me some great experience figuring out how to use the mill in my knifemaking process. Here's the important part though, I sold that machine in a day to knifemaking pal for what I have in it and the sale of the starter is going to cover half the purchase price of Bridget ! I didn't make a profit on that starter mill but I did get to use it for free and got the oppertunity to share the "owning a mill experience" with a friend. I'm a firm believer in getting the best tools possible the first time around but this is a case where getting a starter machine worked out very well for me.

-Josh

In this thread Nathan the Machinist recommends against replacing the motor on a mill because the original motor was likely correctly balanced for the best results.

Appreciate the comments fellas !

Dan, Thanks for that link ! Like many, Nathan is my go-to guy for anything Machining. I was actually researching motors before I had ever fired the mill up so I would know what I was getting into in a blown motor scenario where there'ld be no choice but to replace it. I do appreciate you sharing that link to Nathans advice... great stuff !

Got some more clean-up done and moved the mill into it's final home tonight.

I was a bit concerned with the movement of the turret, the ram's dovetail, and the swivel and tilt functions of the head due to those features obvious lack of use. I figured even if the works were gunked/rusted up a bit it would be most likely fixed with some sweat and elbow grease.

Here's the gears that tilt the head up and down pre-clean up

bridgeport1001.jpg

Wire brushed everything clean then tilted all the way back to get access to the bottome section and confirm she moves in all the directions she's supposed to

bridgeport1002.jpg

Everything working swell so far.

bridgeport1003.jpg

I didn't get any pics but I got the turret swiveling and the dovetail on the ram cleaned up and tracking back and forth smoothly also.

The tractor guy did an A1 job of getting the mill in the garage as far as possible and nearly where I wanted it but it's not quite THERE. So this is my Fat Boy and Flat bar method for final positioning of the mill.

I'm using a scrap of 3/4" plywood for a block under the flatbar to get enough lift to slip the 1/2" mild steel rod under the edge of the base.

bridgeport1004.jpg

Once the rod is under the corner it's pretty easy to push the mill along

bridgeport1005.jpg

Then re-position the rod back under the corner and move it some more

bridgeport1006.jpg

It did take a bit of shimmying back and forth to get her just in the right spot but it wasn't too bad for a one man show. With a 3' crowbar instead of my little flat bar I'd estimate this wouldve been even easier but I managed with what I had.

My shop was getting to be a real cluster as I dropped tools in wherever it seemed convenient when I got them so I decided that a major re-organization of the shop was in order even before getting the Bridgeport. Of course this ended up being a great time for the addition so I could incorperate it into the new layout.

The concept behind the new layout is to have a 360 degree shop where I could walk all the way around the center section for good flow and everything has a spot where it goes. I managed to shoehorn the Bridgeport in with everything else and maintain some real estate for the future addition of a hydraulic press.

Here's the new and improved shop layout

bridgeport1009.jpg

bridgeport1010.jpg

bridgeport1011.jpg

Thats about all I got for now.... Bridget is HOME :)

There's nothing wrong with spending all your time playing with tooling to make knives..... :nothing: Eventually you'll have everything you need...... And THEN you can make knives. :rolleyes:

That really is a nice looking machine.

Thanks Fellas !

I should snap a couple more pics tonight. Spent awhile using 3/4's of a brand new bottle of Simple Green and a Scotchbright pad to completely clean and degrease this beauty :) The sides of the knee and "drip pan" area of the base were especially gnarly but she's clean now and I'm a happy camper knowing the the next layer of grime on her will be all mine.

Perhaps I'm a bit crazy... But I really feel a connection to my tools and enjoy the fact that I have -

Peter Wright anvil circa- 1941
Boyar Schultz surface grinder circa- 1976
Bridgeport circa- 1965

Along with some modern tools like the KMG & Evenheat and some homemade tools like the forge and horizontal.

Even my wife has recognized and accepted the tool obsession !

It took me awhile to understand the value of the time spent building tooling and doing shop improvements but I've seen the light.

Take care all !

-Josh

Here she is boys... all cleaned up for the prom and ready for her first projects. Bye bye dirty girl !

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Making her first chips ! These are the vice jaws from the giant Brown & Sharpe No.24 vice that came with the Bridgeport. They were in nasty shape with holes drilled in them and slots all over where they had been cut with endmills etc. so I cleaned them up and took a couple passes with a fly cutter then milled the slot so my buddy can do some milling without the immediate need for parallels.

004.jpg

Mounted back on the vice. Should work out fine for slotting guards with this arrangement

005.jpg

Project #2- Make myself a brand new guard press. I made a prototype of this guard press but gave it to a friend who absolutely loves it so I needed to make myself a new one. It's a very basic affair really. Slide guard on the tang, slide tang through the slot on the press, clamp tang in vise, Tighten bolts to press the guard on.

006.jpg

Oh boy am I LOVING this new mill already !!!!! :)

Take care all !

-Josh

Back