Tools for making folders

Justin King

I am thinking of delving into making folders and wondering what tools I should prioritze, besides the stuff that most guys use for fixed blades, which I have most of already.

I would probably be making mostly frame locks.

I know I could use a more accurate drill press but I am not sure what I should be looking at. Is a small mill/drill useful enough to be worth the cost?

A hand tapping guide seems like a good idea, any recommendations?

A surface grinder would be nice but is not in the cards for now, I am hoping that having Aldo grind my steel to my spec'd thickness will make this uneccesary, for the short term at least.

What am I missing?

One of my most important tools I use is a accurate drill press. I bought a cheap one at Lowes a few years ago and suprisingly the chuck runs true. I mounted a heavy steel plate on the little drill press table and shimed it to be square with the spindle. This is very important in making a folder that will operate smoothly. I have a import mill/lathe and I use it to cut the lock bar in thick titanium, but it sure has a hard time of it. I have a large Lagun mill at work that does the job much better. Some makers use the cut-off wheels in a Dremel tool, but that doesn't work for me. I use a small hand tapper that I made(a tap holder and a guide) to tap 0-80 and 2-56 threads with.

You need a Reams, Lap Barrels, Drills, Torx drivers, Taps, Tap wrenches. I have my blades, liners and frames waterjetted.

Last edited:
tools

This is my drill press set up, the most used tool on my "garage folders".

A dewall band saw and a grisly belt grinder,
Hand motor and radiac cut off wheels, compressor,

I do not use dremmel for cutting only for fine adjustments.

best regards

Attachments

• drill-pres.jpg
    drill-pres.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Tapmatic....

I'd give up one of my grinders before I gave up the Tapmatic...

+1
In the shop,we use to call it Tapmagic.
I have just started to try my hand with folders,
and am getting things together,Tapmatic will be
added to the list.

God bless,Keith

Back