Tooling disappears on a pouch style sheath

levernut

I have been doing some tooling, mostly basketweave, on my pouch style sheaths. I stamp in the flat, then fold it over to make the pouch. I dampen the leather before folding so it doesn't crack. A lot of the stamping detail on the folded portion is lost and it looks bad. How do you keep from losing the detail?
Brad

Before damping the leather put duct tape or masking tape one the back side. When done stamping let set over nite till dry then fold and this will take care of your problem. Remove tape next day before folding. KT

ok I asked this same question a while back with the reply it is going to happen. I am glad there is an answer I will try this as well.

It should turn out like this. KT

Attachments

• 004%20(4).jpg
    004%20(4).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 1943.jpg
    1943.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 1944.jpg
    1944.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Before damping the leather put duct tape or masking tape one the back side. When done stamping let set over nite till dry then fold and this will take care of your problem. Remove tape next day before folding. KT

What's the purpose of putting tape on the back side? I'm sure it'll come to me a second after I hit "submit" but for the life of me, I've been sitting here trying to figure that one out and I can't come up with anything!

KT, thanks for the tip, but it is going to take far FAR more than duct tape to make my leather "come out like this".... LOL...

DonL,
The tape on the back serves 3 purposes...1) it helps to keep the leather from expanding when you case it (wetting it and let it rest so all the fibers get some moisture until equilibrium gets met), 2) it helps to keep the "stretch" to a minimum while tooling and 3) it helps to keep moiture from evaporating out the back...that way your leather stays moist longer. Clear HD packing tape is the best, then contact paper, then anything else. Some people rubber cement their project to a piece of plexiglass before casing and tooling. Lots of different ways to "giterdun."

KT that is a great tip. I haven't done much tooling work but I was not impressed with my results as it seemed to lighten after it dried. I figured I was doing something wrong but didn't know what. I will have to try the duct tape next time!:35:

Back