Tongs for holding a ball peen to make a Tomahawk

Tmac

Greetings all. I'm looking to forge a tomahawk out of a ball peen hammer. What kind of tongs can you recommend that you can hold the ball securly while drifting the eye and hammering out the blade? I figure after that I can do the back end of the spike or poll but using a flat tong to hold the blade. If somebody has a better option I'd like to hear it.

I don't have tongs yet so these are the first couple I'll get.

Thanks,
Tom

Hmmm, this is a good question. You may have to forge the tongs to forge the hawk. I know it sounds like a smart aleck answer but you may have to. None of my tongs will fit a ball.

Try one of the larger round jawed tongs then forge the jaws to match the peen more closely. Adjusting the tongs at the forge to match the work is actually a good practice as it can improve the grip.

Doug

Looks like its time to learn how to make some tongs first. Thanks for the advice.

I also talked to Glen from GSTongs and he might have a variation of his bent knee tongs that he'll shape to fit the ball.

If I get a working solution I'll post it.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glen is the man for this. He is currently making 2 tongs and a hammer for me. He is more than reasonable for great custom one up work. If it can be done he will do it!

Thanks TS, Glen has been really good to talk to, I'm going to be getting a few tongs from him.

Good call JMJones, good simple solution. Although my shop hasn't acquired a welder, yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you buy a pair of farrier's hoof nippers at the junk store or flea market, all you need to do is grind a half-circle or 'V' in each jaw. They don't grab the ball, but the neck between the ball and the eye. This is very handy if you've already worked the ball into another shape, like a hammer head or spike.

Takes all of five minutes.

Glad I could help, Greg. I use them all the time for holding stock that has a head/upset part, or curves a bit - they're the original "bolt" tongs! The narrow jaws leave most of your iron exposed to the hammer, too.

Some nippers are better than others, having a larger opening or such. Sometimes it's better to only cut a 'V' in one jaw, leaving the other flat. Sometimes it pays to weld a bit of pipe to a jaw....

Lots to experiment with.

Mike got a link to those tongs I would love to take a look at them??????? I know Don has retired and can't seem to google up what you are speaking of!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just got a few tongs delivered from Glen this week, one of his bent knee tongs for the ball peen. Really great craftsmanship. Haven't fired the forge up yet to test when hammering but it does seem to hold the stock well. I'll post an update once I get to using them. I want to try that nippers idea too. Can't have enough tools.

Back