Today's project first attempt to dye sheath and complete #3 handle it was a success

Owen Vernon

So I got off to a running start this morning with a sheath I had cut out and attached the belt loop. Then got a wild hair and decided to try to do a 2-tone dye for first attempt. Apparently I have to do it the hard way the first time. So i wetted the sheath with a water/alcohol solution and used a brush for the dark outer edge - that seemed to work well. Then I tried to dye the lighter center part and it looked like a poor attempt at an antique effect. Lots of streaks and blotchy areas. I wasn't happy so I put the sheath in the sink and got it quite wet and re-dyed the center. Then it looked much better the colors continued to even out as it dried.

The handle is purpleheart and has 4 coats of Formby's Tung oil with the wood being rubbed down with Armor all before each coat. It acts as a catylist I guess and I put those 4 coats on in about 1/2 hour. I read about this tung oil/armor-all method in a gun stock refinishing forum and have the link if anybody is interested. DSCN0313.jpgDSCN0312.jpg

Thank You I studied a video by a knife maker on youtube goes by Jackloreknives and I liked his handle shape and shows how he determines where the palm swell is to be located and does a demo handle. So I tried it for myself.

Back