Todays grind

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
Todays grind. It was a bit warm in the shed with the temp guage showing 43C (110F) while I was hardening the blades but they are all done and in the tempering oven for a couple of hours.
ugHmBBkl.jpg

svW3TNdl.jpg

l0boACVl.jpg

I like the semi-skinner. I'm not into big knives. The biggest I do is maybe 4 1/2 inch any more. Good job on all of them though.

I like the semi-skinner. I'm not into big knives. The biggest I do is maybe 4 1/2 inch any more. Good job on all of them though.
The two on the left are my light hunter and then wapiti hunter which is a slightly larger version of the hunter skinner with the reverse angle handle, 2 J T Rangers, a buffalo hunter and 3 bowies. I dont do any of the top edge grinds on the pre HT grind so will get them a done with the post HT grind today then a bit of hand sanding will be in order.
Generally all my hunting knives are in the 4 1/2 in blade and under as well but the J T ranger @ 5 1/2" is a good seller for certain applications and the bowie @ 7 1/4" has a steady place in the order book. One of the bowies in this lot is going to be a back-up on a bear hunt as he thinks the J T Ranger which he also has may not have a long enough blade if this line of defense is needed.
I started out just wanting to do hunting knives but when asked to do other types it seems they have all become part of the expanding standard offerings.

Been a productive day with all the blades sanded and ready for handles, had a throw out of used belts (about 35 or so) got some of the handle scales that will have liners epoxied together for next week
The top rasp bowie with the brass will have walnut with black liner
Next rasp bowie will have buff horn and eucayptus
1075 bowie will have copper and tambotie (an order)
J T Ranger with buff horn and eucalyptus (an order)
Wapiti hunter with NZ Matai (an order)
A 12C27 light duty general purpose/table knife will have black with blue liners (gift for a friend)
J T Ranger, buffalo skinner,and 2 more light hunters for the ready drawer so a client only has to choose the handle and it can be ready much sooner. Have a few in the drawer for that reason now.
w7v3q8al.jpg

Have the handles on 6 knives and the buff horn bolsters on another 2. The copper and brass bolsters allow for immediate fitting of the handles seeing as they are held by peened pins rather than epoxied pins. I was able to do something with the first attempt of the sgian dubh and turned it into a little boot knife.

Back