Toaster oven for tempering?

I have watched mine through a whole cycle and have never seen my oven drop by more that 2 or 3 degrees I have a digital oven thermometer .maybe the type of oven you have Ed. mine works great

Last edited:
I suspect something went amiss, because if everyone else is having success with it....I gotta be doing something wrong. Either that or I'm just far too picky! :D

Good point Ed. Maybe wrapping the oven in Inswool would help the oven not to have to cycle as much. Certainly something to check. I guess that I will check my oven too.

I've been monitoring mine through both tempering cycles so far.
The oven thermometer is showwing 50 degrees cooler than the digital readout.
I have it set to 450 but the thermometer is showing barely over 400.
I have gone 1 1/2 hours on both cycles, do you think that is enough or should I take the blade home and put it in the gas oven and just put in ear plugs when the wife gets there?

I had to smile when you mentioned "the wife". The last time we purchased a kitchen range, we were at Sears....my wife was with one salesman asking about colors and all the "pretties", while I had another salesman off to the side, asking him which one of the ovens would hold the tightest tolerances....then I had him steer the Wife to that range.
On the way home my Wife turned to me and said "You are NOT cooking knives in my new oven!" It worked out really well until I got sloppy and didn't clean the oil off well....she came home from work and the kitchen smelled like burnt quenching oil. After that she made me by my own oven! Imagine that cool 1

Wow, what a bummer on those toasters! Mine has about a 25 degree swing in temps and always get the color I am looking for, relative to the temp I want. Constantly checking my finished blades with a hardness tester tells me I am hitting my goal temperatures.
Sampson Knifeworks

I wrapped mine with ceramic wool just to keep the cycles down but the temperature has always been steady.

I did a test on mine. With and without the bricks in the bottom. I drilled a hole in the side to insert a thermo-coupling. I used (coupling) a regular kitchen digital and also the controller off my welding forge. The re-cycle time varied from 5 to 8 degrees with the bricks and 15 to 20 degrees without them..

Back