Tire Hammer

Gliden07

What's the opinion in the Gallery of the Clay Spencer tire hammer. Been thinking about doing the class. All toll be about $3200 with everything factored in including room board and fuel?

Everything I have heard about them says that the classes are great and the hammers are too. Where else are you going to get a well functioning PH for 3200? Not without a hunt.

That said, if you're handy and can weld, the plans are available. Also there are folks who manufacture the parts you'll use at the class, and they'll sell you certain parts if you want to build one yourself.

Everything I have heard about them says that the classes are great and the hammers are too. Where else are you going to get a well functioning PH for 3200? Not without a hunt.

That said, if you're handy and can weld, the plans are available. Also there are folks who manufacture the parts you'll use at the class, and they'll sell you certain parts if you want to build one yourself.

Can ya point me in the direction of someone that makes parts?

I've used a number of them, and can say one thing..... how well they work depends entirely on who builds them, and how good of a job they do at it!
I've worked on some that were as good, or better, then a newly rebuilt/properly tuned Little Giant. I've also work on others that were so bad, I just gave up on them and use a hand held hammer.

Personally, I think the design is one of the better out there.... but again....it's all about quality/accuracy of build.

Last edited:
I've used a number of them, and can say one thing..... how well they work depends entirely on who builds them, and how good of a job they do at it!
I've worked on some that were as good, or better, then a newly rebuilt/properly tuned Little Giant. I've also work on others that were so bad, I just gave up on them and use a hand held hammer.

Personally, I think the design is one of the better out there.... but again....it's all about quality/accuracy of build.

The workshop is going to be run by Clay Spencer. I know that they build 15-20 hammers over a 5 day period. I was hoping for a class closer to me! It's in Virginia I'm in MA. There is very little in my neck of the woods pertaining to things like this. I have to decide in the next few days.

I've collected all the materials and have the plans. Just need to start. Finding the anvil was the hardest part, there just aren't that many 6 in or larger round bars laying around my area. I finally managed to get a 9" anvil made of 4140, former life was a shaft in a paper mill. There is a Facebook group that Clay and others frequent. Curtis Herrmann in Oklahoma came up with a design improvement that increases the hammer a weight a few pounds. He sells any part you want or complete hammers. Raymond Head in Alabama sells complete hammers, he's on FB too.

The workshop is going to be run by Clay Spencer. I know that they build 15-20 hammers over a 5 day period. I was hoping for a class closer to me! It's in Virginia I'm in MA. There is very little in my neck of the woods pertaining to things like this. I have to decide in the next few days.
If you want a tire hammer, it is ABSOLUTLY worth your time/money/effort to get to one of those workshops.... MA to VA?? Heck, that's just "down the street" :) We have folks here in Montana who drive an hour each way, just for a gallon of mile and a loaf of bread! ;)

Back