Thoughts on edge stitching?

theWeatherman

So ever since I started making sheaths I have had problems with getting the mexican basket weave stitch/lace correct. I finally got it to look presentable. Now.... I wish I would have taken appropriate pictures but this is what I have until I make another sheath so I can post those pictures.

What are your thoughts on the edge stitching/lacing?

I think I will take the drilling of the hole down one step and see how that works out, because I have been using 1/8" and there is just a tad more space in the holes than I wanted. I want to start lining my sheaths and add some tooling. I have also thought of doing like a black border and still doing the black lacing.

7A226B51-76D6-470E-9A80-6CCFA1622903-976-0000008A91C5DF65.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Its times like this when I miss Dave Cole the most, he was the true master of lacing.

A very close second would be Kid Terico, I'd pull on his ear for some tips.

Its times like this when I miss Dave Cole the most, he was the true master of lacing.

A very close second would be Kid Terico, I'd pull on his ear for some tips.

Yeah, I emailed him in the past year and his wife responded telling me about him. I felt bad....

Stay with 1/8 holes just use 1/4" wide lace..sorta like this..
IMG_20111229_093347.jpg
..motor cycle seat but same concept sir, it tightens the lacing and fills the holes...

A sheath with a welt is just too thick to do a cordovan knot on. Try stitching as normal but doing a tight lace on the throat of the sheath. It looks great that way. Lacing is traditionally done with 2 layers. But ya gotta use a welt, so I'm not saying to do it without one.
GOD BLESS!
Michael

I do the double loop lace stitch ,Mexican basket weave takes a lot of lace and is very very time consuming. I agree I find it very difficult with the thick welt. A lot of the inlay sheaths Ill do the cutting edge with double loop the rest is just a saddle stitch.

Basket weave lacing is indeed very time consuming and usually takes needle nose pliers to pull the lace back through the hole that already has lace in it. Then there's having to take the lacing needle off because the lace rolled or the needle just pulled off the lace. Personally I think that it only works well with a thicker welt or the pattern doesn't lay flat enough. For the most part I use double or triple loop lacing, you only have to take the lace through twice to advance a hole instead of taking through four times.

Never the less, from what I can see from your photos, you seem to have done a good job of it.

Doug

Back