Thought it was about time to show a few finished knives

FD Kingery

Here is a forged bird and trout the blade is about 7/16" wide and just over 8" over all, with stacked leather handle that I made for myself. Mostly it fillets apples right now.IMG_5935.JPG
This is a pair for leather work with elk scales and brass bolsters again for my own use
IMG_5815.JPG
This is the second generation of the bird and trout the blade is about 11/16" wide and almost 8-1/4" O.A. with brass guard and bloodwood handle
IMG_5864.JPG
and last for now is a small stock removal skinner with cow shin bone (doggy chew bone from Petsmart).
IMG_0203 (2).JPG
IMG_0196.JPG

Fred, I just looked closely at your Cow Bone Skinner - that is very impressive workmanship on the red liner / dovetail bolster interface, wow! How the heck did you get that dovetail line so sharp and clean right at the bevel joint? What glue did you use?
I'd like to be a mouse in the corner and watch you work.

Fred, I just looked closely at your Cow Bone Skinner - that is very impressive workmanship on the red liner / dovetail bolster interface, wow! How the heck did you get that dovetail line so sharp and clean right at the bevel joint? What glue did you use?
I'd like to be a mouse in the corner and watch you work.
the liner is 2 parts with a bevel sanded to match the angle of the dovetail, then everything is epoxied together. pretty easy to do just dry fit until you like the way it looks and double check everything is still in place once the epoxy and clamps are applied.

That's some fine craftsmanship, I love these knives. What type of steel did you make them out of?
Both bird and trout knives are forged 5160 which is usually my go to steel for forged blades, the leather work knives are old commercial saw blades HT'd as 1080 and I haven't had any issues with them. They hold a razor edge like you wouldn't believe. last the skinner is 1080.

Back