This weeks results

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
After showing the previous 3 buffalo skinners on my FB page I got an order for a pair of them from one of the gunshp outlets so these are now ready to go after they get an edge on them. There is not the overtly vissible chatoyance that is evident in the likes of maple but it is there subtly in the wood anyway and in my mind enhances it by its subtlety with its white gold on gold colouring
W0kWoTfl.jpg

zvOsizPl.jpg

And this one is my EDC pattern with the Africa Hunting forum logo on the sheath. a 3 inch 1084 blade with buffalo horn handle
fTPpy1Ul.jpg

This is the one I did for the forum owner (some time back) who commissioned me to design the knife for the forum to show the allternative horizontal carry sheath.
JKV9ogpl.jpg

Awesome knives Mr. Gruff. I really like the bolsters.
Thanks Chris. The 2 inch sanding mandrel (by 6 inches long) that I had made for the drilll press allows for very square (to the face) inside curves and makes fitting up to them as simple as doing square backed bolsters now.
At one time I was doing both curved bolster and butt cap but that is a very time consuming fit up process and time equates to cost so dont do that now but it does look good.

I love that white on gold with the black bolster!
Me too John. I have been in contact with the farm owner who has the eucalyptus stand and I am going out there monday to look for more. I have enough for another dozen knives but will replenish my stash with some more. Willl post a pic of what I get although it will be in lump form and willl need at least this summer to dry before use. Being the type of grain structure it is there is often a loss with checking etc as I found with the last lot I got that these handles came from

I have to say that even with the checking it is well worth the effort. That wood is stunning.

I know next to nothing about wood preparation. I wonder if it will do better if cut into blocks and coated in order to dry more slowly?

I have to say that even with the checking it is well worth the effort. That wood is stunning.

I know next to nothing about wood preparation. I wonder if it will do better if cut into blocks and coated in order to dry more slowly?
I cut way oversize but it is the grain type with crotches that have some diagonal grain that will often check and when they dont, it makes for a lovely piece and when they do they make firewood. There is a large plantation of the eucalyptus where I am going so while there is some waste there is always another piece to choose from.

i have a good sized block of eucalyptus here in the shop. I’ve used some before and it is incredibly beautiful. I’ve been letting this block dry for about a year now. I bought it at a woodworker show and it’s coated heavily. Should I remove the coating to see if it checks?

It would depend on the size of the block if it is coated from green. The general rule of thumb is a year per inch of thickness for natural drying for plank wood. Of course the shorter blocks will take less time and warmth and or breeze will speed up the process but that is what can also bring on the checks.

Back